Hiking thread

I’ve a couple, a big Berghaus which I rarely use, my normal one is a Vallo 50:60. With food, drinks, first aid plus dry bag etc.. it starts weighing a fair bit. Sturdy as fuck with loads of pockets.
Nice one, I’ll have a gander online

Slight change of (geographical) focus. Has anyone got any recommendations / experiences with long distance (multi-day) walking routes in continental Europe? I'm just about capable of reading a map, but not great, so ideally I want something that's well-established and well signposted - not just making up my own route as I go along. Examples I've heard of are the GR10 in the French Pyrenees, but I am interested in any suggestions people have. I'm hoping to go in the summer for about a week/10 days.

Slight change of (geographical) focus. Has anyone got any recommendations / experiences with long distance (multi-day) walking routes in continental Europe? I'm just about capable of reading a map, but not great, so ideally I want something that's well-established and well signposted - not just making up my own route as I go along. Examples I've heard of are the GR10 in the French Pyrenees, but I am interested in any suggestions people have. I'm hoping to go in the summer for about a week/10 days.
I did the Peak Du Midi d'Ossau in the French Pyrenees a few years ago with a group from work. We took the ferry across. It's a bit of a drive, but there's plenty to have a go at round there, and really beautiful countryside. We had some really heavy rain and thunder for a couple of days, so we did a couple of day trips out to Biarritz and Lourdes.

On the way back, we stopped in Lens. We managed to find a bar as you do and spent the night drinking with a load of RCL fans who were on their way back from a game. It was when Anelka was playing for us, so we had a fair bit to talk about. We couldn't find a hotel nearby (the driver was pissed), and we ended up kipping in a local park like a load of tramps. We got moved on by the police in the morning. I've still got the scarf that one of the RCL fans gave me.

I did the Peak Du Midi d'Ossau in the French Pyrenees a few years ago with a group from work. We took the ferry across. It's a bit of a drive, but there's plenty to have a go at round there, and really beautiful countryside. We had some really heavy rain and thunder for a couple of days, so we did a couple of day trips out to Biarritz and Lourdes.

On the way back, we stopped in Lens. We managed to find a bar as you do and spent the night drinking with a load of RCL fans who were on their way back from a game. It was when Anelka was playing for us, so we had a fair bit to talk about. We couldn't find a hotel nearby (the driver was pissed), and we ended up kipping in a local park like a load of tramps. We got moved on by the police in the morning. I've still got the scarf that one of the RCL fans gave me.
Haha, brilliant. I might not emulate every aspect of your trip but Pic du Midi is a good tip, thanks.

This is all I know about Lens.

What rucksack do you opt for mate? I take the the straps are heard wearing?
If you’re still looking mate I can recommend the North Face Borealis, it is a great versatile bag/pack, both for walking/hiking and also everyday use. If you shop around online you’ll often find a sale on somewhere.
Loads of reviews and comparisons on YouTube

I like a lot of the casual fashion of the hiking clothing brands.

Patagonia are always good, and even some lesser known like Passenger (https://www.passenger-clothing.com/?utm_source=Instagram&utm_medium=skedlink) who seem to be more of an ‘après-hike’ casual brand.

Anyone else into this sort of stuff?
Yep, got loads of outdoorsy ‘hikerdelic’ gear, Patagonia, Fjallraven, Filson, Woolrich, Danner etc as well as the more technical North Face, Berghaus and Columbia bits and bobs. It has always been a look in Manchester.
Picked up a Hikerdelic brand jacket a while back cheap in the sales but it isn’t the greatest technical quality for say a walk up Scaffel Pike in the pissing rain

47835.jpg

48154.jpg

Been hiking over and around Keswick last few days. Think it's the first time I've had a tan in April. Amazing place. I think Buttermere is my new favourite place.

I fucking love this country and we are so so lucky to have this on our doorstep.

Last year me and a mate cycled the tow paths along the canals. It's amazing how far you get without realising.
We do around 30 miles round trips starting at Salford Quays. Worsley, Altringham, Ashton, Wigan...
I caught a train up to Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire and cycled back to Manchester along the canal. That was so satisfying. It's about 30 miles in total.
The River Irwell in Salford is good to cycle too...past Agecroft and on to Clifton Park.
Here's me on a bike ride around the south of Manchester last August (I'm the one with the normal size head....but yeah, i cut my hair myself!.COVID CUT!). We rode down the canal from Old Trafford to Timperley to MCR Airport to Style to Gatley to Fallowfield Loop back to OT and back to Salford.1619278459434.png

Me and the missus doing the great ridge/Mam Tor tomorrow morning. We've got into getting out walking since lockdown and luckily we've got quite a few decent walks near us living in hawk Green near marple. We've done 30 miles this week and we're kick starting this week with tomorrow's trip to the Peak District.

Me and the missus doing the great ridge/Mam Tor tomorrow morning. We've got into getting out walking since lockdown and luckily we've got quite a few decent walks near us living in hawk Green near marple. We've done 30 miles this week and we're kick starting this week with tomorrow's trip to the Peak District.

Me and the missus fell asleep on top of Mam Tor back when we were younger! Love that place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.