Hiking thread

Just booked a long weekend in Fort William with a view to scaling Ben Nevis mid-March. Any tips? Best time to set off, parking, clothing, food etc. Cheers.
As others have said you can park at the bottom, about £10 and you’ll need coins from my last visit if I remember correctly.
Depending on your fitness levels it’s going to be between 5-8 hours up and down and going in March you’ll get all weathers I expect. Take plenty to eat and drink plus extra clothing to change into if it pisses down, trust me it will.

As someone else has said if it’s clear the view will be unbelievable. I’ve done it 3 times and got a clear window only once for about 5 minutes and it was breathtaking, good luck and enjoy it mate.

I’m on a walking holiday at the moment - cyprus
0EF88288-2564-401A-AE90-2D9F458BDEA5.jpeg
Beach stop for lunch… it’s a bugger.

Company called Inntravel, Mrs JASR been using it for decades , me since we got together.

We even used them for Honeymoon - Azores.

Thoroughly recommend , self guided detailed walks, sometimes hotel to hotel (luggage goes by car) sometimes with a car. The hotels/places to stay they use are normally small with excellent food, or in villages with excellent small restaurants.

I remember reading about a walk along the Norfolk coast. The idea was you walked by night and dossed on the beach during the day. Always fancied doing that, but I am now too old and knackered. Retired walker!

Went hiking in the Peak District at the end of October for the first time in more than fifty years — yep, you read that right, last did it with my first serious girlfriend, a lass from Hazel Grove.
Went out first day (had a whole week's great hiking, circuits planned out with my mate), hiked along Mam Tor ridge, lovely weather, crisp autumn day, very lucky, stupendous views of course, fairly mild walking really (nothing too strenuous about the gradients), came down off the ridge, heading for Hope for some sandwiches and preferably a good pint or two, stood saying hello, hello, hello to passing hikers to be polite, boot well ensconced in a particularly deep piece of turf, turned abruptly to go without lifting my foot, and completely buggered my knee like a fucking clown!
By God but it was painful! My mate says he heard it pop. At first I thought I'd done my cruciates (I think subconsciously I wanted to be in the same company with heroes like Lakey), nothing as dramatic. It fucking hurt for the whole of the first day, and I was limping badly for the rest of the week, but the woman who saw me in Buxton hospital was barely able to suppress a yawn. She must see this kind of thing a hundred times a week. She said, no, you can't have a crutch, you can put your full weight on it (which I could!), you've strained your outer ligament fairly fiercely, you might have pinched your cartilage at the front with the kneecap, you just rest it, put an ice pack on it at night, and that's it!
I was well pissed off about ruining the holiday. No matter, my mate was driving, and we made it into a pub visiting holiday for the rest of the week. Which was pretty good too (terrific pub in Chapel-en-le-Frith, excellent pint, and everybody very friendly, forget the name, I'm afraid).
And my knee, I'm a bit ashamed to say, is just fine…

Managed to do 3 Ethel's around Monsal Dale, each of which was also a historical site of significance - bronze age fort, iron age fort and a Roman fort. Ten miles and 550m of ascent.

Absolutely knackered now though but glad I got out. Love this time of year for hiking, before the masses wake up from their hibernation and start plodding out into the dales.

As others have said you can park at the bottom, about £10 and you’ll need coins from my last visit if I remember correctly.
Depending on your fitness levels it’s going to be between 5-8 hours up and down and going in March you’ll get all weathers I expect. Take plenty to eat and drink plus extra clothing to change into if it pisses down, trust me it will.

As someone else has said if it’s clear the view will be unbelievable. I’ve done it 3 times and got a clear window only once for about 5 minutes and it was breathtaking, good luck and enjoy it mate.
Hey mate can you take dogs up? Whats the wildlife sheep etc like up there my mutt would be chasing them forever, I can put her on a lead but she loves running, bloody Spaniel!

finally got up Mam Tor on Wednesday, rewarded with views of about 10 feet :/
Oh and the wind, I'm near 14 stone and could barely stay upright

Good thread. I'm taking this up as I'm too old to be running. Fancy some places that are a short train ride away, probably this week as I'm off work. I've done the West Highland Way before and Ben Nevis.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.