hillsborough anniversary

Back to the Blackburn game 2 names I,m reminded of when there John Bond getting the bird and Gerry Taggarts woeful performance if my memory serves me well

I,m sure Bond was there doing some TV stuff I remember his bloomin white hair shining in the sunlight

They always say you knew where you were when kennedy was shot. Before my time. For me it was this. Filling in forms to join the Royal Navy at home and trying to convince my mother to sign as my mentor as i was under 18 (Still serving). Another one was the Bradford fire. Leaving Maine road after beating Charlton, to get promoted

M18CTID said:
I honestly can't believe that given these circumstances, the numbers of Liverpool fans pitching up in Sheffield that day without tickets was "insignificant". I know I wasn't there but I would estimate that those without tickets would've probably been in their thousands - anything below that is a naive estimate in my opinion. So for me, if there were thousands of ticketless fans in the vicinity at the point the gates were opened, then that is a significant amount. I'm not saying disaster would've been totally averted if nobody turned up without tickets but there's at least a slight chance that the casualty count might not have been quite so high.

Just one other thing - I see that Prestwich mentioned the traffic problems which is a good shout. But let's remember not every Liverpool fan comes from Liverpool - they have an out-of-town support that pretty much rivals the Rags and as such would've been coming from all over the country as well as Liverpool itself. Plus some would've arrived by train of course.

The issue of ticketless fans can of course never be resolved one hundred percent. however, there are two reasons why Taylor didn't believe it was a factor IIRC. The first was that they were able to estimate the number of people in the ground, as well as outside it, with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The total number was not greatly more than the number of tickets sold. There were also Liverpool fans with tickets for the Forest end who were told to go in the Leppings Lane entrance.

However, the total number of people in the ground when the disaster happened was not greater than the total capacity of the Leppings Lane stand. The other pens were virtually empty and could have accommodated all the fans safely, if the police and stewards had blocked off the entrance to Pens 3 & 4, which was part of the normal plan and had been done before. Duckenfield simply didn't think about the consequences of letting all the people through.

As regards traffic problems, you are right and not every Liverpool fan would have been affected. However, the fans were told to be in place by 2:45 and the build up happened at 2:40. It was already well known by the Sheffield Wednesday operational management & the police that the turnstiles couldn't cope with a rush and they failed to exercise proper control on the approaches to the stadium.

in my scheme of things that was a bad day for me... moving out of my flat coz my girlfriend left me... took a people carrier to the game.. Kenny Hand, Steve the kidney Bond, Matt Mills (from school) and others.. bad day but the weekend next was cool bournmouth the we were 3-0 up at the start of the second half.. met some really cool guys..from the post office in bournmouth...but in realty.. god help them..... remember being in the Bradford end after the Morley leveller.. tried to hold on to my mates as we jumped throught the gate onto the pitch,,, felt like shit after it all.....

Prestwich_Blue said:
M18CTID said:
I honestly can't believe that given these circumstances, the numbers of Liverpool fans pitching up in Sheffield that day without tickets was "insignificant". I know I wasn't there but I would estimate that those without tickets would've probably been in their thousands - anything below that is a naive estimate in my opinion. So for me, if there were thousands of ticketless fans in the vicinity at the point the gates were opened, then that is a significant amount. I'm not saying disaster would've been totally averted if nobody turned up without tickets but there's at least a slight chance that the casualty count might not have been quite so high.

Just one other thing - I see that Prestwich mentioned the traffic problems which is a good shout. But let's remember not every Liverpool fan comes from Liverpool - they have an out-of-town support that pretty much rivals the Rags and as such would've been coming from all over the country as well as Liverpool itself. Plus some would've arrived by train of course.

The issue of ticketless fans can of course never be resolved one hundred percent. however, there are two reasons why Taylor didn't believe it was a factor IIRC. The first was that they were able to estimate the number of people in the ground, as well as outside it, with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The total number was not greatly more than the number of tickets sold. There were also Liverpool fans with tickets for the Forest end who were told to go in the Leppings Lane entrance.

However, the total number of people in the ground when the disaster happened was not greater than the total capacity of the Leppings Lane stand. The other pens were virtually empty and could have accommodated all the fans safely, if the police and stewards had blocked off the entrance to Pens 3 & 4, which was part of the normal plan and had been done before. Duckenfield simply didn't think about the consequences of letting all the people through.

As regards traffic problems, you are right and not every Liverpool fan would have been affected. However, the fans were told to be in place by 2:45 and the build up happened at 2:40. It was already well known by the Sheffield Wednesday operational management & the police that the turnstiles couldn't cope with a rush and they failed to exercise proper control on the approaches to the stadium.
The other point to consider is that the crushing had already started before the main gate was even opened. At that point, only ticketholders were in the ground yet they had still all been ushered into the two central pens.

People might not have died, but there still would have been serious injuries in those two pens had that main gate never been opened. The police fuck-up was already well under way by the time any ticketless fans had entered the ground.

And fair play to Liverpool who haven't exploited their own tragedy for there own selfish needs.

My best mate was in the forest end that day and the scenes he witnessed still affect him today.

The post showing the item from the guardian really shocked me!

God knows what the people and the families went through in this tragedy!

The scum still sing about this to wind the scouse up and to think they had something similar, banter is all well and good but mocking the dead? Scum

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.