Hillsborough verdicts reached

Great post. I am also sure that there is a link to how the police, following the miners strike, became detached from being a public police force. The issues are not with the individual officers, many of whom have suffered as a result of the tragedy and/ or the pressure put on them during the cover up that followed. But the attitudes, arrogance and incompetence of senior officials on the day followed by the widespread state corruption that followed are the nub of the issue. People in power, supported by media pointed the finger of blame at the victims. That is unforgivable.
Does my head in when people try to suggest some kind of link between Heysel and Hillsborough. And there have already been criminal investigations into the events that took place at Heysel, with a number of people found guilty of manslaughter. So what else is it that you want to happen?

Edit: Just seen PB's post on this matter. Well said!

Probably

I hope that all the friends and family of those who lost their lives at Hillsborough, and indeed Liverpool FC can now move on with justice achieved. It's been one of the biggest cover ups in British history and it has taken far too long to get this verdict. Credit to those who continued to fight, it's taken a long long time for them to finally clear the names of their loved ones and of the Liverpool fans in general and allow the victims to rest in peace.

It could have happened at any public event - anticipation, excitement can lead to people pushing to enter stadiums (I've seen it at gigs before). Liverpool, and English football fans in general were tainted at the time for hooliganism and it was a case of the Police v. football fans. Unfortunately, that generalism and stigma has seen Liverpool FC and its fans wrongly blamed for the events of that day.

They can finally move on and as football fans we should show our support to their club, ignoring whether we like them as a team or are rivals.

My understanding is that the fans behaved like fans do/did, and nothing more, and that is what the jury found. There will always be some pushing, some drunks and some without tickets - that is something that should be expected and managed. it wasn't.

There were lies spread about them forcing gates etc, and far far worse in the Sun. These have been demolished utterly.
There were lies spread about there being vast numbers of ticketless fans forcing their way in. These have been demolished utterly.
Both of these have become part of the image built, and built falsely.

The evidence, as revealed in books using the Parliament records, by the efforts of Andy Burnham, and an inquest without artificial limitations, is undeniable.

ivkack.jpg

My understanding is that the fans behaved like fans do/did, and nothing more, and that is what the jury found. There will always be some pushing, some drunks and some without tickets - that is something that should be expected and managed. it wasn't.

There were lies spread about them forcing gates etc, and far far worse in the Sun. These have been demolished utterly.
There were lies spread about there being vast numbers of ticketless fans forcing their way in. These have been demolished utterly.
Both of these have become part of the image built, and built falsely.

The evidence, as revealed in books using the Parliament records, by the efforts of Andy Burnham, and an inquest without artificial limitations, is undeniable.
The fans behaved like 'old fans do'. What stabbing and murdering each other. The tension between the 'old fans' and the Police massively contributed to the disaster. The atmosphere at the games, during those times, was unbearably intimating. If football fans during that period were all well behaved, the general public wouldn't have believed the Police or the media. However, because the whole nation knew how supporters behaved the story seemed totally plausible. We were banned from Europe during that period because we behaved like animals. I remember the Police literally treating us like animals, because that's how we behaved. It's like we've completely forgotten how we were.

interesting video footage that was shown to the jury at the inquests

viewpoint on the kelvin mckenzie / sun angle

Last edited:
It's staggering that despite all the evidence there are still people who are stupid enough to believe the lies. The police have owned up, yet we still have idiots on here blaming the fans.

Just watched that video with the sound turned down at work. What struck me was the footage of the Liverpool fans outside the turnstiles - far from being a "tanked up" mob, they come across as very well behaved in the context of how football crowds acted at the time. Sure there was a bit of pushing and shoving but it was the sheer numbers building up outside that was the main issue from what I could see rather than the crowd being wildly out of control.

This happened for our semi final at Anfield not so long ago......the traffic and an accident made us all late. Outside was mayhem. The police did fuck all but did say we shouldnt have turned up so late.

The Police will never learn.

I was at that match - there was a fatal accident en route and thousands of blues dropped on Anfield pretty much simultaneously just prior to kick-off. While the severity of the situation was nowhere near what it was at Hillsborough it was still quite hairy and the behaviour of Merseyside police that night - particularly in light of what had gone on at Hillsborough all those years before - was a fucking disgrace. Not to mention that stark refusal to put the kick-off time back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.