Holiday advice

We met a couple from Keighley who think they're half Greek as they visit Stalis twice yearly and have done so for the last four decades. He even orders his drinks in the local language follow by the obligitory yamos and everyone fawns over his abilitiy because it's a difficult language to master utilising it''s own alfa bet. Anyway I digress as they made eye contact with us and within minutes was narrating a history lesson on the Cretan way of life. We were supposed to be going to the Slaint'e Irish bar to watch Skid Row a local rock duo and then call off for a kebab but instead found ourself seated at a local taverna with them to enjoy some local produce. The mousaker was his recomendation and as I tucked in I realised the dish was simply a rehashed Shep-pie with a green gurkin in the middle. Layers of cheese and mince and potatoes and all very good but never the less Shepherds pie so if ever you want to try the local produce then this would be excellent as a first foray. The bar tender told us back at the digs that he could not understand a single word our new chum says except for the Mythos bit but that if it makes him happy fair fooks. Do any Mooners take on personalities from the countries they visit and try to integrate into their way of life? If I went in an Irish bar and started spouting "top of the morning" and "what about yer" I would probably receive a swift kick to the bollocks for my trouble. Anyway speaking of local produce I cannot wait to get my lips around some pudding chips and peas on a tray with gravy and a nice cup of PG Tips made with pyramid bags. Holidays are nice but it''s not England and if we had the sun like they all do then staycations would be the rage. We win hands down on the countryside vista's but our northern beach resorts are gash compared to the costas.

Greece seems to bring out that side in some people. Without fail you will meet someone who has been going for 20 years and knows everyone, including the bloke who plays accordion near the beach.

I've heard the Shipwreck beach is a little underwhelming; looks amazing from above but when you're close it's all a bit meh, the sand is really bad, always loads of tourists etc
Would still like to see it myself thought, but not on this trip!

Hope the turtles make an appearance for us, the forecast is looking good and being out on our own boat all day with a fridge full of Mythos is very appealing.

I did it last year its crap. Absolutely loads of boats pulling in and out constantly so hoards of people, you cant get any unspoilt photos if thats your thing,the beach is quite rocky and loads of morons sitting in the shade next to the signs warning of danger of falling rocks, even families with kids.

Once you've seen the wreck (2minutes) you then have to just wait around for half an hour for your boat to pick you up.

Looking forward to a week in Rome in a couple of weeks as Croatia is a no go for me. I considered going and having a 2 week quarantine but you can't even leave the house for a 30 minute isolated walk which is fair enough.

I would love to have gone to Zante but can't risk it with the uncertainty, infection rates in Italy are very low and remain that way. Booked a fantastic hotel with free cancellation so excited to explore the Roman sites, architecture and enjoy great food.

I should be able to swap my Croatia flight to Rome from Friday so I'm settled on this approach. I considered the Algarve but it will be rammed and it's full of golf tossers.

o it is diificult
I think as a nation we are a little bit lazy when it comes down to linguistics. The bar tender at our shack is from Macedonia and speaks 5 languages firstfluently. I can get by in Spanglish and order a beer and stuff but Greek is way above my comfort zone so Yamas will have to suffice for now.
I was surprised the Macedonian girls don't speak Greek but they have excellent English.
Other nationalities all round Europe all want to practise their English so its not easy to get a word in literally. I try with Greek but don't get the chance to use it.
In a couple of bars lve frequented their first words to me are 'Mr Manchester City'! I love it;)

I've heard the Shipwreck beach is a little underwhelming; looks amazing from above but when you're close it's all a bit meh, the sand is really bad, always loads of tourists etc

Hope the turtles make an appearance for us, the forecast is looking good and being out on our own boat all day with a fridge full of Mythos is very appealing.
That shipwreck looked fucked when i was there in 92. Very underwhelming I think.

Plane broke down, big ends I think as it was knocking like fook. Anyway they off loaded us and took us back to resort in a 5 star hotel. I did ask if they had any French style shacks available but they tend to book up first. Anyway king bed with Eygytion sheets and a mini bar that we stripped and also a complimentary bottle of nurf de pap wine. Full English breakfast with real sausages shipped in from gods country. Dinner and 3 course tea and then back home to blighty and get this Martin Lewis says £720 compo for our pain and suffering. We love you TUI!

I've heard the Shipwreck beach is a little eunderwhelming; looks amazing from above but ewhen you're close it's all a bit meh, the sand is really bad, always loads of tourists etc then

[/QUOTE

The wreck is best seen from above. You can't see the graffiti.

Currently in Skala in Kefalonia. Not Been before but very impressed Only arrived yesterday
Pretty quiet just glad we managed to get a break !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.