Holidays

We usually go to Cornwall or Devon for a week with our dogs. Having a change this year, and going to Dorset. Staying in a small village, Thornford about 20 miles north of Weymouth.
Any tips for must see places etc appreciated. Is the New Forest still worth a look?
Christchurch beach is stunning

I’m off there this weekend (first time) Puerto Rico, looks good for a family break (which it is) loads of shopping malls by all accounts….strange
I went many years ago before we had kids. Went to their equivalent of the gay village for drinks because didn't really like the main square area.
Was mental. Guys walking round in gimp masks, glory holes being advertised. Never seen anything like it.
Certainly wouldn't go back with my kids.

I’m off there this weekend (first time) Puerto Rico, looks good for a family break (which it is) loads of shopping malls by all accounts….strange
I’m going there in 6 weeks. Most of the bars are in 2 shopping malls it seems. One is close to our hotel so good for staggering around and home

Those who have been to Dubai, is it possible on a budget?

I heard it's full of the TOWIE lot and other z list influencers, so ideally want to avoid that kind of crowd, without paying through the nose for digs or meals.

Hoping to get out there next year with a mate. Any recommendations welcome, I'm totally ignorant regarding travel to the middle east. Thanks.
The influencers mostly flock to the more popular public or party areas like the malls or marina so you probably won't have a problem with them. There's a huge expat community living at the marina, it's nice and new but it's perhaps best avoided if you don't want to run into endless billionaire wannabe personal trainer type knobs from Essex.

Ignoring the really cheap businessey type hotels in central Dubai, the hotels on the Palm are probably the cheaper options as the Palm is generally quieter as there's not much there. The Atlantis is best avoided if you don't want tons of kids running around and it's expensive. The Sofitel, Waldorf or Anantara on the Palm are really nice and are much cheaper than other hotels such as those on Jumeirah Beach. As with anywhere in Dubai the hotel restaurants will still have crazy prices so you'll need to travel out for cheaper eats. The malls have the usual chains which are pretty reasonable.

If you want to eat well and don't mind being locked into a hotel on half board then a good shout is to look at the Jumeirah flavours half board packages at the Jumeirah Zabeel Saray hotel on the Palm. It's the cheapest Jumeirah group hotel and if you get onto this package then you can eat for free at loads of restaurants at the different Jumeirah hotels located throughout Dubai.

If you just want the cheaper hotel, decent beach then the above hotels such as the Sofitel are probably best. You can then travel to the malls etc for cheaper food and drink. It's doable but probably not if you do want to eat at nice places.

Last edited:
I went many years ago before we had kids. Went to their equivalent of the gay village for drinks because didn't really like the main square area.
Was mental. Guys walking round in gimp masks, glory holes being advertised. Never seen anything like it.
Certainly wouldn't go back with my kids.
Haha…..what have we done ;/ ( I’m hoping this was the eighties) don’t think it’s as ‘liberal’ where we’re going

I wouldn't know who does the best packages but I would have a look at STA or Travel Bag to get a idea. Also Emirates website and try the usual combo on Expedia and Tui. All the big names have hotels down the beach area over there if you manage to get a cheap flight you can book directly with the hotel. Around the airport is expensive which sounds strange but most of us used to stay in that area when transiting as it was convenient. I've stayed in various Le Meridien hotels and they are good standard. Happy hunting blue . I love finding a bargain break but you will have to put a bit of work in I imagine.
If you mean STA Travel, they went bust in 2020.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.