Holidays

I'd suggest maybe upgrading to a silver account with NatWest for a brief period? I pay around £10 per month and get fee free transactions worldwide, european travel insurance and also mobile phone insurance/break down cover.

I get all of them might not be applicable to you but for price per month I think it's good value.
Yeah - that's a good shout.
Cheers.

Yeah - that's a good shout.
Cheers.
Similarly, i have a flexplus account with nationwide...i get phone insurance, travel insurance, AA cover etc for a monthly fee...possibly £13 a month. There are no fees for using my card abroad...i reckon most if not all banks will have similar accounts

Interestingly i never really know which option to pick when they ask "do you want to pay in Euros or Pounds"...but just saw this on the Nationwide website:

Choosing how to pay​

When you make a card transaction in a foreign currency, you'll be asked whether you want to pay in a foreign currency or pounds sterling.

Paying in a foreign currency​

If you choose to pay in a foreign currency, Visa will convert your payment into pounds sterling using their standard Visa exchange rate (opens in a new window). Then, we’ll deduct the amount in pounds sterling from your account.

Paying in pounds sterling​

If you choose to pay in pounds sterling, the retailer or cash machine owner will convert your payment. They may also add on additional charges. This will often cost more than paying in the local currency.

So i "think" this is suggesting you should pay in the local currency??

In the departure lounge waiting to return to shite old England
There are loads of beautiful places to visit in England.

We've booked 9 days in Cala D'or, leaving next week. Hoping for some warm weather.

Has anyone here used Journee? We've had a few quotes from them this year, but not taken the plunge yet, due to a few minor deficiencies in their offers.

A friend of mine goes cruising a lot. Maybe two or three times a year, using the same company, usually leaving from Southampton. He had just finished a cruise and they were tempting him in to buying his next, and he pushed them for a deal based on his loyalty status.

He said he is paying £250 each (him and his wife) for a Mediterranean Cities cruise this winter, with upgrades of cabin with a view and £750 spending money! (I think that is total, not each).

He said they do this to get people to go on the cruise because it is cheaper to put the ships to sea than it is to leave them in port all winter.

It sounds a bit fanciful to me. Is there any truth in this? And if so, how can you get in on the act if you don't have around 50 previous cruises to throw into the mix?

Another Q (apols....it really has been a while since I've had a holiday abroad).

Just booking but later options are for extra luggage and also airport transfer (£60 round trip). The airport is only a mile away so could get bus, but worth paying that just for ease/less panic?

Another Q (apols....it really has been a while since I've had a holiday abroad).

Just booking but later options are for extra luggage and also airport transfer (£60 round trip). The airport is only a mile away so could get bus, but worth paying that just for ease/less panic?
the bus over there is decent & reliable but don't think it will be running when you land at 11:45pm. maybe look at booking a one way transfer and then can get the bus on return.

the bus over there is decent & reliable but don't think it will be running when you land at 11:45pm. maybe look at booking a one way transfer and then can get the bus on return.
Looking at earlier flights now - so land mid afternoon (same on the return too)

And 1 x 20kg case should be good for me and my lad (I don't even own a. suitcase - the ex and kids have them)?
Only for 5 days so should suffice,

Last edited:
Similarly, i have a flexplus account with nationwide...i get phone insurance, travel insurance, AA cover etc for a monthly fee...possibly £13 a month. There are no fees for using my card abroad...i reckon most if not all banks will have similar accounts

Interestingly i never really know which option to pick when they ask "do you want to pay in Euros or Pounds"...but just saw this on the Nationwide website:

Choosing how to pay​

When you make a card transaction in a foreign currency, you'll be asked whether you want to pay in a foreign currency or pounds sterling.

Paying in a foreign currency​

If you choose to pay in a foreign currency, Visa will convert your payment into pounds sterling using their standard Visa exchange rate (opens in a new window). Then, we’ll deduct the amount in pounds sterling from your account.

Paying in pounds sterling​

If you choose to pay in pounds sterling, the retailer or cash machine owner will convert your payment. They may also add on additional charges. This will often cost more than paying in the local currency.

So i "think" this is suggesting you should pay in the local currency??
Always pay local, even with your bank charges the rate will be better than the rate the retailer offer to you.

There are loads of beautiful places to visit in England.

We've booked 9 days in Cala D'or, leaving next week. Hoping for some warm weather.

Has anyone here used Journee? We've had a few quotes from them this year, but not taken the plunge yet, due to a few minor deficiencies in their offers.

Im going there next week too :-)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.