Holidays

We booked New York this afternoon. Sailing there again on the Queen Mary 2.

We enjoyed it that much in June that we're doing the same trip again.

What a place New York is. We have to go back.
Enjoy, can’t fault you one bit, I’d rather go there than sit on any beach in the world.

Best City I’ve visited, been 4 times, once pre 9/11 when the attitude of locals was different. There was a saying “could you please help me or should I tell myself to fuck off”, doesn’t apply anymore, love the place.

Last time we went myself and Mrs H walked from Battery Park back to the Citizen M Hotel in Times Square stopping at several bars one Sunday night, best pub crawl ever, took about 6 hours for a 5 mile walk.

Going to Singapore and Thailand (Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Bangkok) in 3 weeks time. Not been to Asia (aside from venturing over the Bosphorus in Istanbul).

Got a lot planned but happy to take on board any recommendations.
Singapore: Night zoo, Sentosa island, Clark quay bars….oh and 4 floors of whores (if that’s your thing) on orchard rd.

Phuket: Patong to watch Thai boxing (very good), big Buddha in Karon, phi phi island (where they filmed the beach)

Bangkok: only spent a day here so can’t recommend anywhere but the city was pretty crazy busy

You probably have most of these in your plans I would have thought.

Enjoy, can’t fault you one bit, I’d rather go there than sit on any beach in the world.

Best City I’ve visited, been 4 times, once pre 9/11 when the attitude of locals was different. There was a saying “could you please help me or should I tell myself to fuck off”, doesn’t apply anymore, love the place.

Last time we went myself and Mrs H walked from Battery Park back to the Citizen M Hotel in Times Square stopping at several bars one Sunday night, best pub crawl ever, took about 6 hours for a 5 mile walk.

I'm not that keen on beaches so I'm with you on that.

It is an amazing place, as you know. We did a lot of walking etc as you do, in stifling heat most days, so a good few beers stops along the way.
But even after 5 days of this we've got so much more to experience.

I will definitely be hiring an electric bike again and cycling around Central Park. I did this on my last day before the airport and really enjoyed it. I didn't actually realise how big Central Park is.

Thoroughly looking forward to going back.

Last edited:
I'm not that keen on beaches so I'm with you on that.

It is an amazing place, as you know. We did a lot of walking etc as you do, in stifling heat most days, so a good few beers stops along the way.
But even after 5 days of this we've got so much more to experience.

I will definitely be hiring an electric bike again and cycling around Central Park. I did this on my last day before the airport and really enjoyed it. I didn't actually realise how big Central Park is.

Thoroughly looking forward to going back.
Have a good un, we did a day in the bronx last time, it’s an interesting place but I wouldn’t be confident of walking around there in the dark! For an experience and football have a couple of drinks at Rudy’s Dive Bar, it’s on 9th Avenue (627), Hells Kitchen, great atmosphere. Been some very famous people in there and you get a free hot dog!

It’s not far the Intrepid Museum which is a combination of the US Intrepid aircraft carrier and the Nuclear Submarine US Growler. It’s a good half day out, it’s on 12th Avenue, you can walk around both vessels, there’s a couple of VR rides on the ship and the sub is very interesting, I wouldn’t like to be on one of those, the living and working spaces are tiny/claustrophobic.

Singapore: Night zoo, Sentosa island, Clark quay bars….oh and 4 floors of whores (if that’s your thing) on orchard rd.

Phuket: Patong to watch Thai boxing (very good), big Buddha in Karon, phi phi island (where they filmed the beach)

Bangkok: only spent a day here so can’t recommend anywhere but the city was pretty crazy busy

You probably have most of these in your plans I would have thought.
I didn't have the 4 floors of whores were in my plans but thanks for the recommendation :)

I'm going to New York next August for my wife's 60th. There will be eight of us plus a two year old.

Any tips would be appreciated. On my list of things to do are the Parkrun in Central Park, Breakfast at Tiffany's (not even sure if that's a thing), and to take in a baseball game.

We have a large Airbnb in Newark. What would be the best method of traveling around the area?

Going to Singapore and Thailand (Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Bangkok) in 3 weeks time. Not been to Asia (aside from venturing over the Bosphorus in Istanbul).

Got a lot planned but happy to take on board any recommendations.

Parts of Phuket are lovely, other parts aren't great. Patong area is a real eye opener haha (maybe only one night needed on Bangla Road).

My favourite island by a mile was Koh Samui, had everything and I believe I could genuinely live there if I had a job which permitted remote working.

Last edited:
I'm going to New York next August for my wife's 60th. There will be eight of us plus a two year old.

Any tips would be appreciated. On my list of things to do are the Parkrun in Central Park, Breakfast at Tiffany's (not even sure if that's a thing), and to take in a baseball game.

We have a large Airbnb in Newark. What would be the best method of traveling around the area?
You won’t have any trouble getting a ticket for a Baseball game so long as the Yankee’s are at home, they generally play about 5 consecutive games. If the Yankee’s aren’t at home you could do the Met’s but they’re based in Queens.

Most tourist attractions are obviously in Manhattan and a great way to see New York’s 5 boroughs is do a couple of days on the hop on hop off bus, we have generally boarded near Times Square which is a great place itself to visit and take in a show if that’s your thing. Don’t go on a Monday though as a lot of theatres are “dark”, closed that day.

The subway is great for covering long distances but if all your party is able walking is brilliant as every corner you turn there’s a landmark that you’ve seen on TV.

China Town and Little Italy are great for food and a trip to the Peace Tower, the site of the Twin Towers is a must, pay to go in the museum, it’s worth it.

The boat trips on the Hudson are good usually accompanied by a comedic guide, I’d just take a boat that passes the Statue of Liberty rather than the dedicated one that lands there as you see more of Manhattan and they usually sail right past the Statue so you get a great view.

Piers 45 and 57 are brilliant attractions, Sunday is a great day to visit 57. Central Station is well worth a visit, it’s absolutely stunning.

As I said earlier I really enjoyed the Intrepid maritime museum that features the aircraft carrier and Growler Nuclear Submarine

There’s really so much to do, I’ve not seen it all despite 4 visits!

Plan your time there, it can be expensive but we generally have a decent breakfast and then a light evening meal and treat ourselves to a nosebag in a good restaurant at least once, it will be about £100pp now I think. However there’s many cheaper restaurants, my favourite is John’s Pizza but as you’re staying in Newark is should be less expensive.

Also don’t forget Rudy’s Dive Bar on 9th Avenue, $3 for a pint and a free hot dog.

I’ve looked up, Newark to Manhattan is best by train, just over 30 minutes.

Buy a decent guide book before you go and take advantage of the “multi site” tickets where you can budget before you go, really good discounts on attractions.

You’ll have a fantastic time.

Edit, forgot about the Empire State Building, best at night for a spectacular view of the City. And as @Threeinarow said visit Central Park, it’s huge and loads going on there.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.