Holidays

Thanks mate. I really appreciate your recommendations. Koh Samui sounds like a good choice - more chilled and it gives me the chance to travel around as well.
Personally much prefer Phuket to Samui. It has its wilder side (Patong) but has plenty of quieter, more relaxing areas too. Plenty to do on the island and easy access to Krabi and Phang Nga. It can be as Thai or touristy as you want it to be. Something for everyone. It really depends on when you are going though as whether varies a lot between the 2 islands.

Given your lengthy stay, can I ask about how you go about accessing funds with minimum fees and fuss for the duration? We’ll be heading to Vietnam for several weeks early next year, considering Revolut but have seen there are restrictions on number of atm withdrawals, Any suggestions? Thanks
I've pm'd you if you wanna give me a call. Far too hard to type it all out.

Personally much prefer Phuket to Samui. It has its wilder side (Patong) but has plenty of quieter, more relaxing areas too. Plenty to do on the island and easy access to Krabi and Phang Nga. It can be as Thai or touristy as you want it to be. Something for everyone. It really depends on when you are going though as whether varies a lot between the 2 islands.
If I went back to Phuket I’d stay around the kata beach area. Experience decent surf there a few years back, best I’ve experienced in Thailand.

If I went back to Phuket I’d stay around the kata beach area. Experience decent surf there a few years back, best I’ve experienced in Thailand.
I prefer the North West coast myself. Layan, Nai Thon, Nai Yang and Mai Khao beaches are my favourites as they are all very quiet (especially the latter 2). Rawai and Cape Panwa on the East costs are pretty decent too. None of them are good for surf though! Nai Harn on the South of the island was always reckoned to be the best for that.

Kata is nice though, especially Kata Noi, and my favourite of the South Western beaches. I avoid Karon and Patong like the plague as they're not really my kind of thing. Way too busy and touristy. Kamala and Surin are ok but swimming there can be a bit dangerous due to rip tides at certain times of the year.

I prefer the North West coast myself. Layan, Nai Thon, Nai Yang and Mai Khao beaches are my favourites as they are all very quiet (especially the latter 2). Rawai and Cape Panwa on the East costs are pretty decent too. None of them are good for surf though! Nai Harn on the South of the island was always reckoned to be the best for that.

Kata is nice though, especially Kata Noi, and my favourite of the South Western beaches. I avoid Karon and Patong like the plague as they're not really my kind of thing. Way too busy and touristy. Kamala and Surin are ok but swimming there can be a bit dangerous due to rip tides at certain times of the year.
I went to Patong last year, it was my fourth time and proper see my arse with it. Busiest I’ve ever seen it, may as well had been in Benidorm. I think it’s an age thing, I loved it a few years ago in my twenties, just preferred the chilled life now. Currently in Koh Samet, lovely little island. Been meaning to go for years but never came round to it.

I went to Patong last year, it was my fourth time and proper see my arse with it. Busiest I’ve ever seen it, may as well had been in Benidorm. I think it’s an age thing, I loved it a few years ago in my twenties, just preferred the chilled life now. Currently in Koh Samet, lovely little island. Been meaning to go for years but never came round to it.
I can't stand Patong either but easy to avoid it. I lived in Phuket for around 15 years and never set foot in Patong the last 10 of those. I know some people who love it but they must have very different taste to me.

Koh Samet is nice, just found it a bit limited. If someone just wants a relaxing beach holiday, it certainly does the job. I must admit I haven't been there in probably around 8 years though, so it may well have changed.

Just booked 4 days in Prague and restaurant recommendations, ideally for veggies or interesting places/areas to visit outside the main attractions.@KnaresboroughBlue
I'm probably about as much the opposite of a vegetarian as you can get, so probably can't help much on that score, though most restaurants offer vegetarian options these days.

If you want to PM me regarding things that you enjoy or that interest you, I'd be happy to suggest some places to visit outside the main attractions.

Thanks mate. I really appreciate your recommendations. Koh Samui sounds like a good choice - more chilled and it gives me the chance to travel around as well.
I went to Koh Samui 4 years on the bounce, loved every minute of it.
Mate ran a bar there(well, the police ran it).
I think the island's got a bit of everything from fantastic beaches,food places and night life to seediness,sex trade and anything that goes.
Rent a scooter and wizz round the island, plenty of different places to go.
The airport is the coolest, quirkiest I've ever seen too.

I'm a bit torn regarding where to go, Thailand or Goa, went to Goa in 2020 for the first time and loved it, I mean the people, the food and most of all the sun every day, lounging around the shacks and walking the miles of beautiful beach.
Am divorced now, so it's a different trip to last time, part of me thinks it's easier to go somewhere I'm familiar with but I hear so many good things about places like Phuket, Pattaya & Koh Samui and by all accounts if I leave it til late Dec/early Jan then I'll have the similar weather.
As for nightlife, well I'm an FOC now, still like a mooch about in the evenings and if I hit the right sort of place I've no problem staying out til sunrise, or beyond, no reins on these days.
It's a dilemma, I've even considered doing a 2 or 3 weeks at each, if I do Goa first I'm already half way to Thailand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.