Holidays

I’m considering going to Thailand with the missus, but I’m not really sure the best location to stay.

I’m after more of a relaxed, chilled out holiday, with some touristy things to do. I’ve had a look at the various islands, but I’m not quite sure - Ko Samui looks decent. Anyone on here got any recommendations?

Double check what weather is like when you are visiting
Weather can vary wildly
Ie samui in June is good but terrible in Phuket

A mate of mine just gon to Thailand for the first time, I'd like to go one day. Need to knock the booze on the head and save up

I’m considering going to Thailand with the missus, but I’m not really sure the best location to stay.

I’m after more of a relaxed, chilled out holiday, with some touristy things to do. I’ve had a look at the various islands, but I’m not quite sure - Ko Samui looks decent. Anyone on here got any recommendations?
I’ve been to Thailand more times than I can think back, I’m there now.

Keep away from Phuket, it’s not a proper Thai experience. Patong Beach is absolutely nuts, if you want a chilled holiday don’t even entertain it. The beaches are busy, volume of people is just to much, other better places to go in Thailand.

Koh Samui on the other hand gives you the best of both worlds. Chewang Beach is quiet during the day but has enough nightlife at night to make it worthwhile going out. Also has some very nice waterfalls and viewpoints across the island. You can take trips to either Koh Phangan or Koh Tao.

My favourite islands are Koh Chang/Koh Mak/Koh Kood which is east Thailand close to the Cambodian border. Koh Kood has hardly been touched, not 7/11’s, no chain shops/restaurants, just bliss. Koh Chang is gorgeous, some great restaurants which are either Thai or international cuisine and hotels are fairly good price. Only thing about these islands is I often think you need to have been to Thailand before to properly enjoy them, as they are off the beaten track and you could feel overwhelmed.

I could go on all day about the places to visit but the best bet is to stick to Koh Samui for the first time and venture off to the two islands close by. That’s the best thing to do in Thailand, going to other close by islands. Just don’t go to Thailand between June-October, high chance of a washout. Rainy season lasts till December in Samui too, I think some posters have already mentioned. Although I was there last November and had no rain at all. On the other hand I’ve been in December and they’ve had major floods. Proper roll the dice weather sort of holiday at the time of year.

Highly recommend going in mid April for Songkran, no other party like it in the world. Water fights for days, like being 10 years old again.

Last edited:
I’ve been to Thailand more times than I can think back, I’m there now.

Keep away from Phuket, it’s not a proper Thai experience. Patong Beach is absolutely nuts, if you want a chilled holiday don’t even entertain it. The beaches are busy, volume of people is just to much, other better places to go in Thailand.

Koh Samui on the other hand gives you the best of both worlds. Chewang Beach is quiet during the day but has enough nightlife at night to make it worthwhile going out. Also has some very nice waterfalls and viewpoints across the island. You can take trips to either Koh Phangan or Koh Tao.

My favourite islands are Koh Chang/Koh Mak/Koh Kood which is east Thailand close to the Cambodian border. Koh Kood has hardly been touched, not 7/11’s, no chain shops/restaurants, just bliss. Koh Chang is gorgeous, some great restaurants which are either Thai or international cuisine and hotels are fairly good price. Only thing about these islands is I often think you need to have been to Thailand before to properly enjoy them, as they are off the beaten track and you could feel overwhelmed.

I could go on all day about the places to visit but the best bet is to stick to Koh Samui for the first time and venture off to the two islands close by. That’s the best thing to do in Thailand, going to other close by islands. Just don’t go to Thailand between June-October, high chance of a washout. Rainy season lasts till December in Samui too, I think some posters have already mentioned. Although I was there last November and had no rain at all. On the other hand I’ve been in December and they’ve had major floods. Proper roll the dice weather sort of holiday at the time of year.

Highly recommend going in mid April for Songkran, no other party like it in the world. Water fights for days, like being 10 years old again.

Thanks mate. I really appreciate your recommendations. Koh Samui sounds like a good choice - more chilled and it gives me the chance to travel around as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.