Holidays

Enjoy, used to do Rhodes once or twice a year for a good 10 years upto Covid, a beautiful place to visit.

Great island but a little expensive compared to some other islands and the airport there can be a nightmare.

Airport a nightmare???

Just what I wanted to hear.... the flight back is around midnight, with 2 kids, so a smooth airport operation would have been nice!

Although to be fair, it could be the best airport in the world and two kids awake until midnight would probably make it hell anyway!

Enjoy, used to do Rhodes once or twice a year for a good 10 years upto Covid, a beautiful place to visit.

Great island but a little expensive compared to some other islands and the airport there can be a nightmare.
You’re so right there, was on a lads trip in Rhodes, coming home our huge plane didn’t arrive for whatever reason so they sent two smaller ones to replace. We were near the front of check in, for some reason the early arrivers were allocated the second plane which was delayed by 8 hours from the original flight time whilst those at the back of the queue got a flight that was delayed just a couple of hours.

We had no choice so we queued at the bar for beers, just before our turn the draught ran out, no problem we’ll wait for another keg, no chance, it had run out full stop, no beer for the rest of the day. Ok, bottles and cans Jerry, plenty of them on shelves, not in fridges, in July, they were steaming hot.

As you know the airport is rudimentary, sat on a canteen style chair in a very basic “lounge” for around 8 hours waiting to come home, shocking. I bumped into an old mate in the airport who was on our flight, he was with his wife, he’d had his leg off after being shot at the Battle of Longden in the Falklands conflict, he took his false leg off and had a kip in the tiled floor, his Mrs said it was luxury compared to what he’d been through!

Rhodes however is a fantastic island, stayed at Rhodes Town, stunning.

Western Saloon has finally reopened then?
Last time I heard it had been demolished and rebuilding was taking forever
Covid might have been a large contributing factor
Love Beni for 3/4 nights
They moved everything back about 20 foot to accommodate a brand new outdoor veranda.

I've been holidaying in Rhodes for over 40 years. The airport was typically basic in the beginning but over the past few years there's been massive investment. After a few false dawns they've managed to get it right. Everything runs very low-key after midnight but you can say the same of any airport.

You’re so right there, was on a lads trip in Rhodes, coming home our huge plane didn’t arrive for whatever reason so they sent two smaller ones to replace. We were near the front of check in, for some reason the early arrivers were allocated the second plane which was delayed by 8 hours from the original flight time whilst those at the back of the queue got a flight that was delayed just a couple of hours.

We had no choice so we queued at the bar for beers, just before our turn the draught ran out, no problem we’ll wait for another keg, no chance, it had run out full stop, no beer for the rest of the day. Ok, bottles and cans Jerry, plenty of them on shelves, not in fridges, in July, they were steaming hot.

As you know the airport is rudimentary, sat on a canteen style chair in a very basic “lounge” for around 8 hours waiting to come home, shocking. I bumped into an old mate in the airport who was on our flight, he was with his wife, he’d had his leg off after being shot at the Battle of Longden in the Falklands conflict, he took his false leg off and had a kip in the tiled floor, his Mrs said it was luxury compared to what he’d been through!

Rhodes however is a fantastic island, stayed at Rhodes Town, stunning.
Why did he need to take his leg off, I’m stumped at that!

I know you were joking but he always had a kip with his leg off!! This is him on the front cover of a book about the battle for Mount Longden, Simon Clark, great lad.

View attachment 105632
Mate I’ve nothing but respect for what those lads did, I went up Longdon in 88 when posted to the Falklands, I went during the day relatively nice weather, good and drink, how those guys did what they did and mostly in pitch dark is beyond me.

Mate I’ve nothing but respect for what those lads did, I went up Longdon in 88 when posted to the Falklands, I went during the day relatively nice weather, good and drink, how those guys did what they did and mostly in pitch dark is beyond me.
I think the battle for Mount Longden was named the most brutal since WW2, fully respect all who serve in HM Forces, I doff my cap to all of you.

Airport a nightmare???

Just what I wanted to hear.... the flight back is around midnight, with 2 kids, so a smooth airport operation would have been nice!

Although to be fair, it could be the best airport in the world and two kids awake until midnight would probably make it hell anyway!
Puts me off Greece. Almost all the flights are are close to midnight. Why do they do that? That and not being able to flush loo paper. I don’t like the sound of that.

Just booked a few nights in April in Denmark staying at my Manc mates who lives over there in Odense.

Robbing fuckers at the airport....twice the price of the flights.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.