Hollands pies and puds

I'd say Portland Plaice on Portland Street but think they'll be closed now.

I don't eat meat any more, gave up in 1987, but I remember Hollands steak and kidney puddings from back in the 1980s. At the right chippy, usually small town ones catering for locals with a set clientele, were superb.

I had an evening job whilst at school and worked at my local. The pay was crap but just before the place closed, the boss used to let me pick my supper. I always had a Hollands, a nice piece of battered cod, a mound of chips, salt and vinegar, a big dollap of mushy peas and then a ladle of curry sauce across the lot. He'd let me put it to one side and heat it up. We'd shut up shop and clean the place up and then I was out of there like a greyhound out of the traps and home. I'd sit in the kitchen about 2.00am and scoff the lot. Used to wake up and straight out for the school bus the next morning.

Happy days.

I don't ever recall having a nice Hollands, or anthing for that matter in the city centre. The whole situation is about mass production and food being re-heated and basically, no disrespect as I've been there myself many times, but feeding the throw-outs from the pub who will eat anything.

-- Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm --

I wasn't including proper restaurants in that like Sam's Chop House and a few othres. Just the chippies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.