Home hi fi.

My Cyrus CD player has given up the ghost. I can’t afford to replace it with another Cyrus, and not sure that I want to as this is the second unit that has failed. Does anyone have any experience of the Marantz CD6007 unit?
In all honesty the DAC in both of these machines are pretty similar. Transport jitter is pretty much a thing of the past these days because almost all DAC's re-clock and buffer the data, and the output stages THD and slew rates are way below audible levels. The Cyrus CD player has a 2.2v VRMS output; the Marantz 2.4v so the outputs are pretty identical in terms of sound output.

That can be said about all but the cheapest CD players these days. Most of the money goes on build quality, fancy cases, extra features (such as a quality headphone output stage), connectivity and marketing (including WHF rave reviews). If you a purely bothered about the sound and not the aesthetics I would look towards something cheaper.

Last edited:
I went into Currys last week based on your reccomendation. The guy demonstrating it didn’t seem to have A clue. He tried to convince me it would need to be rotated through 90 degree for me to get the benefit of the two top side speakers.
I wouldn't take hifi advice from Curry's, or any of the other high street retailers (Sevenoaks/Richer Sounds, etc.), especially one that tells you that you need to rotate a soundbar through 90 degrees. They are just trying to sell you kit and they rarely have a clue what they are selling, let alone care. So long as they can sell you an extended warranty and some expensive cables you don't need they are happy.

It's difficult auditioning hifi kit in somewhere like Currys anyway. It's a huge space, usually with lots of small reflective surfaces firing off the mid/high frequencies off in all directions, and bass response is often way off. The people in those kinds of shops normally crank it up way beyond normal listening levels to compensate. Basically, if you end up buying it there is no way on this earth it will ever sound anything like it did in the shop when you put it in your living room.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but just something to be aware of. In reality your living room will sound way better than it ever did in Currys as they are designed to be used in those spaces. It can only really go in one position in the room (under your TV), but you can tweak the bass/treble to suit your room and preferences.

For best sound it helps if you have a fairly neutral room sounding room (not too many reflective surfaces). L-shaped rooms can be problematic.

I got the CD 6005 back in 2013 and still going strong. 6007 is the latest incarnation
My NAD C520 is still going strong after nearly 23 years. It's had a new CD tray drive belt, and I modified the output stage (output cap's and Op Amps) about 10 years ago, but after all these years it is still a cracking CD player.

My NAD C520 is still going strong after nearly 23 years. It's had a new CD tray drive belt, and I modified the output stage (output cap's and Op Amps) about 10 years ago, but after all these years it is still a cracking CD player.
There are second hand NADs on ebay £125 plus. That's usually a sign of quality. Keep enjoying it mate

Thanks, I picked up on his lack of knowledge as soon as he said that.
I did like the sound of the Bose 900 though.
My mrs won’t have an sub woofer or any other speakers dotted around so it seems this is my only choice.
I am willing to spend as I do want quality. It is a shame that Bose don’t have a local store.
Ignore the Curry's bloke. If you want to try it, order direct from Bose and they give a 90 day money back guarantee. No need for a sub and it looks like a smart piece of the furniture and not all intrusive. Even in a Bose store you wouldn't get the sound as it is in your room though. if you want to know more then pm me your mobile and we can talk off line.

Still on my marantz cd 52 from 1992!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.