Home to Swansea - Signal of Intent

As much as I love the way Swansea play footy, I want to smash them opening day. And so we will. If we keep the ball, they'll never win.

We have better players, we are a better team. We should be winning this one easily.

No disrespect to Swansea who are a good team that play some lovely football.

With Tevez (if still here not being available for the CS game after his hard summer flying round the world) we should have enough in the locker to score 5/6 and leave them shell shocked, it's a great opening fixture for both teams really.

Yes there'll be up for it but I really can already hear the first 'You've had your day out....' chant hopefully many this season or is it 'Premiership you're having a laugh' as typical City are always around the corner that I can hear?

Yes OK we should win this one, we are the better team and we are at home and I expect us to win, but we shouldn’t just expect a walk over.

Newly promoted teams are a pain in the first few weeks of the season, they are looking forward to each game, each game is like a cup final to them.
Better to play them in October when the reality of the Prem has set in

Ballet On Ice said:
Newly promoted teams are a pain in the first few weeks of the season, they are looking forward to each game, each game is like a cup final to them.
Better to play them in October when the reality of the Prem has set in

That is a fair point, but what I was getting at originally is that surely we would rather play Swansea first up, rather than a Fulham, or a Sunderland, or dare I say it Everton, etc.

Of course the Swans will be well up for it, that's not in question.

With the quality we already have in the team we ought to put them to the sword and get our season off to a flyer.

Of course they will be up for it but the superior class of our players will tell on the day. They do not have the resources to strengthen significantly enough to remain competative in the premier league and will go straight back down due to this.

Playing promoted teams first game is not always ideal. As some have said they will be up for it. Didnt Blackpool thump wigan away first game last year.

There will have been no scouting of them to see weaknesses etc.

However we are at home and if we have any designs on improving on last seasons finishing position then it is a game we have to take 3 points.

Then again whoever we are playing at home next season we must go into the game thinking 3 points is a must.

lancs blue said:
Newly-promoted sides are always "up for it" in early fixtures, remember the rags at Burnley a couple of seasons ago? Not necessarily an ideal start IMO, home to Wigan or Wolves would have been better.

Remember Blackpool going to Wigan 1st game last year and thumping 4 past them to highlight your point.
We play well and as we can play= we win but they will be 100% up for it and we will need to perform

hertsblue said:
lancs blue said:
Newly-promoted sides are always "up for it" in early fixtures, remember the rags at Burnley a couple of seasons ago? Not necessarily an ideal start IMO, home to Wigan or Wolves would have been better.

Remember Blackpool going to Wigan 1st game last year and thumping 4 past them to highlight your point.
We play well and as we can play= we win but they will be 100% up for it and we will need to perform

There's evidence to support both arguments though, remember Chelsea 6-0 WBA first day of last season? They went on a great run, wasn't it something like 20 goals in their first 4 games? We come back raring to go, at our best after a good pre-season and we could well destroy them. Equally they'll be up for it and it might prove difficult but this is as good as an opening fixture as I could hope for.

Either way I'm getting a very good feeling about this season, roll on August.

Carstairs said:
What say on the first day of the season Bobby decides to go all guns blazing, try to thump the new boys and secure a healthy goal difference from day 1.

None of the other teams in the league has such an "easy" fixture (I may come to regret that remark!).

How about setting up with a mega attacking line up and just go for it.

Should put the cat amongst the pigeons
Wont happen

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.