Hong Kong and British Guarantees

Why would the HK Chinese flock here if they understood what happened with the Windrush Generation?

Why would they flock here when we have spent half a decade denying foreigners access and passing laws to do that.

Why would anyone take Johnson's word on any subject?

This is totally different to Windrush. They came over here with nothing more than promises, nothing was written down and they had no passports. IF the UK Govt. carry out their initial offer the HK Chinese would have passports and a Visa system in place. I do however accept that if nothing is written into law they would be stupid to sell up and come over.
We haven't spent a decade denying all foreigners access to the UK at all. We have sought, rightly or wrongly to restrict the numbers who come here and we have put barriers in the way of them being allowed to enter, potential earnings etc. The idea was to attract the ones who could support themselves and their families without relying on state aide. That is not me agreeing with the policy or making a political statement, it is just a fact.

I'd love NOT to be able to buy stuff sourced from China to make a stand, but it's difficult.
Time for country of origin to be made available on on-line web sites accesible from the UK so I can make informed purchasing decisions.

As far as I can see Jimmy Lau is not some moderate social democrat, he's in favour of Hayekian economics. Not something I guess the Chinese would entertain.

As far as I can see Jimmy Lau is not some moderate social democrat, he's in favour of Hayekian economics. Not something I guess the Chinese would entertain.

Whether he is or isn’t it shouldn’t be happening.

Now I appreciate the bit about "guarantees" and how some Hong Kong citizens have British passports, but the welcome mat stands in stark contrast to how we deal with other asylum seekers.

Now I appreciate the bit about "guarantees" and how some Hong Kong citizens have British passports, but the welcome mat stands in stark contrast to how we deal with other asylum seekers.

They're not technically asylum seekers, to be fair. I'm sure Hong Kongers who are not also British citizens would have to go through the (deliberately horrendous) asylum system like anyone else. But also is 36 million actually a lot? If 100k people came over, that'd be 360 quid each.

They're not technically asylum seekers, to be fair. I'm sure Hong Kongers who are not also British citizens would have to go through the (deliberately horrendous) asylum system like anyone else. But also is 36 million actually a lot? If 100k people came over, that'd be 360 quid each.
That's my point. Asylum shouldn't be deliberately horrendous. Unless there is somewhere on gov.uk I've missed, all a successful asylum seeker gets is "there are charities that can help". Nothing like

“This programme will ensure British National (Overseas) status holders and their families have the very best start as soon as they arrive and support to help them find a home, schools for their children, opportunity and prosperity."

Or " ... access housing, work and educational support to ensure they are able to quickly integrate and contribute to their newfound communities".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.