Hong Kong and British Guarantees

Cool another thread for a bit of UK bashing on.

Ahem

I even used the words ‘Govt’ and ‘excellent’ in the same sentence.

Good news. Govt response so far has been excellent.

Per @HugoGye: Home Office appears to confirm that if HK security law passes, *all* 2.9m BNO’s in HK will be able to come to UK whether or not they *currently* hold a BNO passport.

Same reasoning would apply to further concessions. Result.
https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/05/29/media-factsheet-hong-kong-bnos/

Cool another thread for a bit of UK bashing on.

In my opinion, if Gelsons Dad allows me to have one, it isn't Brit bashing, it is more what do people expect we do. I think the people of Hong Kong are very fortunate that the Chinese stuck to their part of the bargain and did not interfere for the 100 years in what was their country. Even after the lease was up they allowed us to negotiate an agreement which up until now they have stuck to.
If I am Brit bashing it is because of what we still seem to assume is our right to interfere in another country.

Will be nice to hear what raab says about hong kong if anything when doing the sunday morning interviews

All the UK can do really is give the 3million full citizenship.

China is really bashing Australia atm and putting huge tariffs on our exports. Not much we can do either.
They're in effect bullying us.
I'd like to stop Aussies buying Chinese crap, but many people just buy the cheapest stuff.

In my opinion, if Gelsons Dad allows me to have one, it isn't Brit bashing, it is more what do people expect we do. I think the people of Hong Kong are very fortunate that the Chinese stuck to their part of the bargain and did not interfere for the 100 years in what was their country. Even after the lease was up they allowed us to negotiate an agreement which up until now they have stuck to.
If I am Brit bashing it is because of what we still seem to assume is our right to interfere in another country.
One thing you have to ask though is why certain countries seem to get very upset with the idea of us offering citizenship to some of their residents. If Canada offered citizenship to everyone in Scotland, would anyone give a shit? It's only authoritarian regimes that ever kick up a fuss about their citizens being offered the choice to leave said regime. The reality is that if we want to offer citizenship to anyone in the world, it's none of China's business. Hell, we could offer UK citizenship to all 1.4bn mainland Chinese, and it would still be none of China's business. Who gets to be a British citizen is the decision of the UK government alone, and it's ironic that China would have a problem with this given how keen they are on countries not interfering in each other's domestic matters.

Don't have all the details but seems a good opening initiative. Source BBC

‘Breaking: @DominicRaab tells China that unless it suspends plans for new security laws in Hong Kong, the UK will give greater visa rights to 300,000+ British National (Overseas) passport holders. Current right to 6 mths in Britain without visa would be increased to 12 mths’

hm, that's some strange laws. They have British Passport but need visa to stay in Britain???

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.