Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Swindon away in ´87 was quite a day. I travelled up from Pompey as I was studying there; arrived at the ground to be told ticket-only and none available. It was absolutely pissing down, eventually they opened up a side paddock, we won 4-3 but City were everywhere in their stand and brawling broke out every time we scored. Waiting for the train later running battles outside the station, on the platform. IIRC some of their fans came badly unstuck when targeting a City transit van, not knowing who was in it - it wasn´t full of students heading back to Pompey.

Swindon away in ´87 was quite a day. I travelled up from Pompey as I was studying there; arrived at the ground to be told ticket-only and none available. It was absolutely pissing down, eventually they opened up a side paddock, we won 4-3 but City were everywhere in their stand and brawling broke out every time we scored. Waiting for the train later running battles outside the station, on the platform. IIRC some of their fans came badly unstuck when targeting a City transit van, not knowing who was in it - it wasn´t full of students heading back to Pompey.
I remember that one well
Went with Potters Mob from Denton, somehow the coach made it there and back lol

I went that day, we were on a run of not being beaten in a number of games, it was a bit of a shock result.
Yes I went to that game away as well. Went down from town overnight and ended up in Bristol City centre around 7/8 am.
We ended up in a bier keller type pub which opened early at 10.30am. We were all pretty pissed up by the time we got to Ashton Gate.
I seem to remember singing - "16 games without defeat ,Man City cannot be beat".
So it must have been the 17th game when Bristol City beat us.
That season was the closest we came to winning the title until 2012!!!

I remember that one well
Went with Potters Mob from Denton, somehow the coach made it there and back lol
Me to the king's Arms Cricklade pre match drink same pub for the New year s Eve game 1988 dropped the beer there and picked it up on the way home dropped in Piccadilly about 9 p m straight to the local ,thinking back to the 87 trip the Stewart s coach was struggling up a winding hill and a low loader with a steam train on the back overtook us!

Last edited:
Me to the king's Arms Cricklade pre match drink same pub for the New year s Eve game 1988 dropped the beer there and picked it up on the way home dropped in Piccadilly about 9 p m straight to the local ,thinking back to the 87 trip the Stewart s coach was struggling up a winding hill and a low loader with a steam train on the back overtook us!
That's correct
It was a Stewart's coach it just about got up the hill near Criclade then free wheeled down
And the train
Lol , Brilliant m8

That's correct
It was a Stewart's coach it just about got up the hill near Criclade then free wheeled down
And the train
Lol , Brilliant m8

That's correct
And the train
Lol , Brilliant m8
Great days out good set of lads from all over Manchester unfortunately several are no longer with us all part of the history of our great club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.