Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Anyone remember Coventry .?..no honest,in f a cup tie goater scored last minute winner and that was the cue for them to run at the main stand. Imagine getting smartened up by old blokes with flask.mint imperials,and tartan blankets.
I remember that one, January 2001 either 3rd or 4th round.
Cheeky bastards ran at the main stand, proper hard men running at pensioners and families.
I never got involved in any mither but was in the kippax and lost it as did the lads I was with and plenty of others around us.
A mob gathered outside the north stand and Coventry shit the bed and wouldn't come out.
Coppers on horse back moved us on after about half an hour or so.

I started going in 98. Only games I saw violence was vs Millwall, Coventry in the cup, agaisnt Chelsea on the last game of the season 00/01. But I saw people badly beat up and robbed a lot of times when they strayed down the alleyways. City fans and rival fans. My Uncle and Grandad told me stories about how bad it was in the 70's and 80's. About horses running up and down the concourses and aisles. They said away days were really bad too. Rival fans would wait for them at the train station, and would attack anyone they thought were a blue. By the time I started going, the trouble seemed to be resigned to the underground.

- The Millwall game was probably the worst, seats flying about, coins, pure chaos

- The Coventry game was mental, we scored and they just rushed into the home end of the North stand, but it was over fairly quickly

- The Chelsea game looked organised. We had been relegated, and we invaded the pitch. I remember seeing a few hundred City fans surround the Chelsea fans, and get closer and closer to them. The police created a barrier and the City fans started fighting the police

I started going in 98. Only games I saw violence was vs Millwall, Coventry in the cup, agaisnt Chelsea on the last game of the season 00/01. But I saw people badly beat up and robbed a lot of times when they strayed down the alleyways. City fans and rival fans. My Uncle and Grandad told me stories about how bad it was in the 70's and 80's. About horses running up and down the concourses and aisles. They said away days were really bad too. Rival fans would wait for them at the train station, and would attack anyone they thought were a blue. By the time I started going, the trouble seemed to be resigned to the underground.

- The Millwall game was probably the worst, seats flying about, coins, pure chaos

- The Coventry game was mental, we scored and they just rushed into the home end of the North stand, but it was over fairly quickly

- The Chelsea game looked organised. We had been relegated, and we invaded the pitch. I remember seeing a few hundred City fans surround the Chelsea fans, and get closer and closer to them. The police created a barrier and the City fans started fighting the police
The Chelsea trouble if I remember rightly stemmed from some of them clowns attacking normal fans in the pub down at Chelsea ,think it was the leveshulme lot who they had started on

The Chelsea trouble if I remember rightly stemmed from some of them clowns attacking normal fans in the pub down at Chelsea ,think it was the leveshulme lot who they had started on

Really, I didn't know that. Fair play to them. I was only a kid at the time. But there was absolutely loads of them.

Bristol City away 1977 worst I've ever been involved in. We lost 1-0 and it had started before the game, had a few altercations even before we got to the pub ! We had a great support and most were young lads (obviously Im a foc now) . On the way back to coach park we saw a number of Bristol twats having a go at ordinary / average city fans. We decided it was enough reason to pile in and we did big time.
Ended up with only about 12 of us and their lot just kept appearing !!
Made it to the mini bus and on road out of Bristol in a traffic jam a motorbike passed us giving the Vs the coach in front of us opened the rear door and smacked them sending them crashing to the floor no real injuries but very funny, I think the coach was from Middleton.
We all ended up with a crap night out in Stockport!
I remember that game, hitched down the overnight and landed in Bristol at a stupidly early hour. It was rough old day though, worst was having a knife pulled on me while on the bus to the ground after having a drink in the city centre, luckily didn't get cut but scary all the same, think I jumped the special back iirc.

On subject of knives, only 2 other close encounters, outside Goodison where it was to be expected, the surprise package being Norwich, this was in the ground behind the home end, never expected that.

Really, I didn't know that. Fair play to them. I was only a kid at the time. But there was absolutely loads of them.
Funny really If you watch the old video footage you can see the pincer movement on the police to get at them in the north stand

I remember that one well
Went with Potters Mob from Denton, somehow the coach made it there and back lol
After the Plymouth league game on the Saturday that season Alan Potter drove a minibus which stayed overnight to attend a Truro v city testimonial on the Sunday evening on the morning of the game we had a photo taken at the famous Lands End signpost Maine Road 280 Miles ( mileage is a guess) can't locate mine can anyone post it ? (I know it's a long shot )

Last edited:
Funny really If you watch the old video footage you can see the pincer movement on the police to get at them in the north stand

Oh yeah, it was really well organised. I was a lad so I was on the pitch trying to get some grass. I remember saying to my Uncle, what the hell is going on there. Just saw loads of them slowly move in for the kill in a really tactical way. Mad to find out why it happened.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.