Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Don't suppose you also were down there when England played the Dutch in a friendly, can't remember the year but around the same time. The story was that the Dutch were bringing thousands and it was going to go off big time, it seemed like just about every club turned out a mob, was a midweek night game. I went down without a ticket as they were supposed to be on sale on day of the game, no chance, police wouldn't let Wembley sell them. Saw Plymouth and Derby going at it in Trafalgar Square during the afternoon, about 100 a side.
Anyway the cloggies didn't turn up, 2 double decker busses brought them in and there were literally thousands of nutters wanting to rip them to shreds, coppers had their hands full protecting just 2 busses.

I did end up getting after about 15mins play when the turnstiles were stormed, police just gave up and ordered the exit gates to be opened, everyone just piled in.
Yes, was at the one, Pompey fans attacking Southampton fans as the dutch did not show.
Like you wrote, every club seemed to be there that day

I have been all over the place with City been in the wrong end so to speak , done my bit , but Cardiff away in 94 was even a little bit to rum for me , I have seen accounts on here and I believe them that City did more than ok but for me and my mates it was fucking grim to say the least , I thought when Curle got his pen saved we might be ok , we had already had a kicking on the way in , it didn’t it was fucking bedlam .

I have been all over the place with City been in the wrong end so to speak , done my bit , but Cardiff away in 94 was even a little bit to rum for me , I have seen accounts on here and I believe them that City did more than ok but for me and my mates it was fucking grim to say the least , I thought when Curle got his pen saved we might be ok , we had already had a kicking on the way in , it didn’t it was fucking bedlam .
After the game Cardiff came up a street by a petroleum station opposite the City coaches. City charged and they ran off.

Was at that game .
We we’re staying in Cardiff the night with mates we have down there , they’re brummies , but had one Cardiff fan with us as our guard ( so to speak ) , didn’t save us getting into a load of mither with a few welsh guys in a boozer in the city centre that night .
Coming out of the game was like the Wild West , not see trouble like that many times before or since .

Lots of memories about most of the above, so i wont recount what others have said.

Anyone remember tho the pre season game at Burnden Park - 88/89 i think. Scrapping all the way back to the train station - non stop, like an ongoing Roman tortoise formation . Great, but mental.

I have to admit tho - that Everton qaurter final at Goodison was tasty - seemed to be relentless at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.