Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

My nephew was there said Russia got in our end at the final whistle and we got spanked.
I was at the game. I’ve been to just about every England away for the last 20 years. The Russian lads didn’t get in the England end, we were behind the opposite goal. They broke in to the section next to them which was mainly English but they were for fans who bought tickets through UEFA so a sort of mixed zone. Not the sort of people who want to fight anyone.

I was at the game. I’ve been to just about every England away for the last 20 years. The Russian lads didn’t get in the England end, we were behind the opposite goal. They broke in to the section next to them which was mainly English but they were for fans who bought tickets through UEFA so a sort of mixed zone. Not the sort of people who want to fight anyone.
Sounds about right my nephew is a fan of Blackpool and England and likes a beer but wouldn't want to fight anyone. If my brother my other nephew and their ex guvnor mates had been there the russians would have a proper fight on their hands.

Must of been the MIB Russian branch.

Just been reading a piece on the Ex football referee Jeff Winter, who apparently only got into refereeing after a near death experience at Maine Road in the 70s, when (along with 500 Boro fans) he tried to storm the Kippax and was confronted by a City fan with a knife.
Even allowing for the usual football hooligan exaggeration I'm struggling to recall a game at Maine Road in the 70s when Boro brought more than 300
He was born in 1955 So I suppose he could be referring to one of the cup matches in 72 or 76.

Anyone remember violence at those games?

Just been reading a piece on the Ex football referee Jeff Winter, who apparently only got into refereeing after a near death experience at Maine Road in the 70s, when (along with 500 Boro fans) he tried to storm the Kippax and was confronted by a City fan with a knife.
Even allowing for the usual football hooligan exaggeration I'm struggling to recall a game at Maine Road in the 70s when Boro brought more than 300
He was born in 1955 So I suppose he could be referring to one of the cup matches in 72 or 76.

Anyone remember violence at those games?
My recollection of Boro was that they actually were in The Kippax and they tried to storm The North Stand .
It was the season when the newly built North Stand had no seats installed (for one season only) and the new stand was taken over by City's more vociferous fans. So all away fans had to go in the now vacated Kippax Street stand.
And Jeff Winter is 100% right ,Boro did try to get into The North Stand, but were swiftly dealt with and soon ran back into The Kippax.
It was the season of the 3-3 derby game so that dates it to 1971-72 season.
I was born in 1956 and was 15 at the time.
So if Jeff Winter was born in 1955 he must have been 16 , assuming my maths is correct.

weren't Boro all greasers and rock lads? Think Burnley were a bit like that too. Mad cunts but no match for City back in the day.

Or have I dreamed that ??? Getting old is shyte

Who went to the Chelsea full members cup game? ( I never went)

Reading some stories today about how City got smashed all over. (Chelsea fans experiences)

My recollection of Boro was that they actually were in The Kippax and they tried to storm The North Stand .
It was the season when the newly built North Stand had no seats installed (for one season only) and the new stand was taken over by City's more vociferous fans. So all away fans had to go in the now vacated Kippax Street stand.
And Jeff Winter is 100% right ,Boro did try to get into The North Stand, but were swiftly dealt with and soon ran back into The Kippax.
It was the season of the 3-3 derby game so that dates it to 1971-72 season.
I was born in 1956 and was 15 at the time.
So if Jeff Winter was born in 1955 he must have been 16 , assuming my maths is correct.
Yeah that would sound about right as I'm guessing that Boro would have brought thousands for the two cup ties in the 70s, but hundreds for the league games.

weren't Boro all greasers and rock lads? Think Burnley were a bit like that too. Mad cunts but no match for City back in the day.

Or have I dreamed that ??? Getting old is shyte

Who went to the Chelsea full members cup game? ( I never went)

Reading some stories today about how City got smashed all over. (Chelsea fans experiences)
City were outnumbered at the FMC Final, but it was the year after Heysel, and apart from City's aggressive reaction to a few Chelsea fans celebrating one of their goals in our end, I don't recall a ridiculous amount of trouble around the stadium.
That doesn't mean to say that nothing happened,(and there was certainly an unpleasant atmosphere), but it was nothing like the violence of the previous season, when it literally kicked off at every game in the top two divisions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.