Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

My recollection of Boro was that they actually were in The Kippax and they tried to storm The North Stand .
It was the season when the newly built North Stand had no seats installed (for one season only) and the new stand was taken over by City's more vociferous fans. So all away fans had to go in the now vacated Kippax Street stand.
And Jeff Winter is 100% right ,Boro did try to get into The North Stand, but were swiftly dealt with and soon ran back into The Kippax.
It was the season of the 3-3 derby game so that dates it to 1971-72 season.
I was born in 1956 and was 15 at the time.
So if Jeff Winter was born in 1955 he must have been 16 , assuming my maths is correct.
Yes it was the cup game January 72 1-1,they were league below us.

My recollection of Boro was that they actually were in The Kippax and they tried to storm The North Stand .
It was the season when the newly built North Stand had no seats installed (for one season only) and the new stand was taken over by City's more vociferous fans. So all away fans had to go in the now vacated Kippax Street stand.
And Jeff Winter is 100% right ,Boro did try to get into The North Stand, but were swiftly dealt with and soon ran back into The Kippax.
So if Jeff Winter was born in 1955 he must have been 16 , assuming my maths is correct.
I remember Middlesbrough having a pop at storming City and getting battered back, but it was the 1974 League Cup semi-final where we beat them 4-0 in the second leg at Home. A big lively crowd 45,000 that night and they brought a large following. I was sat in the seats in the North Stand with my girlfriend and watched a long line of Boro fans file out of the Kippax/Platt Lane End. There was a scrap in the Kippax/North Stand corner.. The details are a bit sketchy as it was a long time ago. They were a tough-looking bunch and pretty game if I recall correctly. They may have tried similar moves in the other games that posters have recalled but I do remember this game played on a Wednesday night

I remember Middlesbrough having a pop at storming City and getting battered back, but it was the 1974 League Cup semi-final where we beat them 4-0 in the second leg at Home. A big lively crowd 45,000 that night and they brought a large following. I was sat in the seats in the North Stand with my girlfriend and watched a long line of Boro fans file out of the Kippax/Platt Lane End. There was a scrap in the Kippax/North Stand corner.. The details are a bit sketchy as it was a long time ago. They were a tough-looking bunch and pretty game if I recall correctly.
that was 76

I remember Middlesbrough having a pop at storming City and getting battered back, but it was the 1974 League Cup semi-final where we beat them 4-0 in the second leg at Home. A big lively crowd 45,000 that night and they brought a large following. I was sat in the seats in the North Stand with my girlfriend and watched a long line of Boro fans file out of the Kippax/Platt Lane End. There was a scrap in the Kippax/North Stand corner.. The details are a bit sketchy as it was a long time ago. They were a tough-looking bunch and pretty game if I recall correctly. They may have tried similar moves in the other games that posters have recalled but I do remember this game played on a Wednesday night
That semi was in 76 mate.

Yes was at that game and my recollection more or less exactly. A few coach loads of them pretty much skinhead attire I think came clanging down Platt Lane and I was just coming out of the co op further down with some alcohol. They caught up with some of the lads outside the shop and then assembled on the Kippax. As we got into the North Stand a few city lads were discretely filing out towards the Kippax and shortly after the Boro fans were scattering everywhere.i always classed the day as a quick demonstration of the capabilities of our fans who made such light work of things.

weren't Boro all greasers and rock lads? Think Burnley were a bit like that too. Mad cunts but no match for City back in the day.

Or have I dreamed that ??? Getting old is shyte

Who went to the Chelsea full members cup game? ( I never went)

Reading some stories today about how City got smashed all over. (Chelsea fans experiences)
Burnley definitely were greasers and also had a fair amount of Teddy Boys amongst them, even in the early 70s.
I was there 70/71 season and City were singing at the Burnley fans
"We want your grease to fry some chips" (When the saints go marching in), which was a great piss take of them.

City were outnumbered at the FMC Final, but it was the year after Heysel, and apart from City's aggressive reaction to a few Chelsea fans celebrating one of their goals in our end, I don't recall a ridiculous amount of trouble around the stadium.
That doesn't mean to say that nothing happened,(and there was certainly an unpleasant atmosphere), but it was nothing like the violence of the previous season, when it literally kicked off at every game in the top two divisions.
I found Chelsea versions on here :

it was and I was in the Kippax that night....it was rammed ...no mither.

One of the best atmospheres I ever experienced

1st(1st leg)​
-​
Manchester City
1:0​
2nd (2nd leg)​
-​
Middlesbrough FC
4:0​
1st(1st leg): 13/01/19762nd (2nd leg): 21/01/1976Winner: Manchester City
Anybody on this thread remember what Mike Doyle said after he found out that City would be playing Newcastle United in the League Cup Final ??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.