Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

The next time they were at Maine Rd they were paid back in spades. Saw a dozen Leeds getting pelted with bottles outside the supporters club. Uniteds boys were out in force in town and joined with City to give Leeds a real Manchester welcome. Might have made them think twice about pitch invasions.
I’ve got family Leeds connections. They had a lot of bad times at City over the years. Their buses got attacked once in the 80s. There was also a big kick off in the Platt Lane around the same time, maybe the year before, when they broke through.

Their was a story at the time that the 10 year old nephew of one of Uniteds top boys had been beaten up along with his dad at Elland Rd. The United top boy swore vengeance on Leeds and brought a firm to attack Leeds. Nearly 50 years ago now and could well be bullshit, but was not the only time City and United fought common enemies in Manchester, scousers at semi finals also spring to mind. Different times thank god.
I don't doubt you but not the fellas I knew mate, not a chance they would ever join up with ragshite.

I’ve got family Leeds connections. They had a lot of bad times at City over the years. Their buses got attacked once in the 80s. There was also a big kick off in the Platt Lane around the same time, maybe the year before, when they broke through.
Is that why they used to bring fuck all to Maine Road year after year? Considering they are supposed to have big away support their following at City was always shit in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s

Ha ha 3k no chance that one he'll of a following that day yes they came on the pitch but came nowhere near us
I was in the South Stand and wondered why they were running around and not coming over. I think Willie Donachie came over to the Lowfield to calm down City fans coming over the perimeter wall.

Is that why they used to bring fuck all to Maine Road year after year? Considering they are supposed to have big away support their following at City was always shit in the 70’s 80’s and 90’s
Good call that ,thinking back to the days of the thread title they never brought a what was called a tasty turnout. Pompey ,Newcastle Sheffield Wed in the old 2nd division brought numbers in a season we all played each other .
I’m sure Leeds might of been in the same division.

Good call that ,thinking back to the days of the thread title they never brought a what was called a tasty turnout. Pompey ,Newcastle Sheffield Wed in the old 2nd division brought numbers in a season we all played each other .
I’m sure Leeds might of been in the same division.
That season most of us went in the Main Stand block next to the Platt Lane every game was a cracker your right Leeds too not to mention Chelsea Boro and Huddersfield and you must remember the Barnsley game 3-2 at start of the season and the Cup game 1993 when they kicked off in Glossop then all down Manchester rd Hyde road to BelleVue and Town
Even Oldham filled the Platt Lane on Boxing Day that season 83/84

I was in the South Stand and wondered why they were running around and not coming over. I think Willie Donachie came over to the Lowfield to calm down City fans coming over the perimeter wall.
A lone blue ran on the pitch and attempted to run towards the Leeds support at the opposite end . Only to be ushered back onto the terracing by Gary Owen . Bricks , bottles and anything else Leeds could get their hands on were coming over into the compound as we exited the terracing . I was certainly glad i`d gone on coach that day rather than face the 3 mile walk back to the rail station !

As a kid in the seventies we used to call them Leeds weeds. I always remember them getting chased and battered at Maine Road. A very different proposition at their own ground of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.