Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

As a kid in the seventies we used to call them Leeds weeds. I always remember them getting chased and battered at Maine Road. A very different proposition at their own ground of course.
They never came to City untill 1992 when we beat them 4 nought when they won the league. I was at the 1976 cup game at their place and City smashed them. We had 30 per cent of the ground off the lard eaters if Dewsbury.

They never came to City untill 1992 when we beat them 4 nought when they won the league. I was at the 1976 cup game at their place and City smashed them. We had 30 per cent of the ground off the lard eaters if Dewsbury.
They did. They filled the whole away end around 84ish including the corner but so maybe 5-6000. At that time the Mayne Line lot used to sit in the Platt Lane at that end. At half time Leeds broke through the bottom gate and charged in and there was a big kick off until police got control.

I remember Spurs getting leatherd in a boozer on Wilmslow Road. HE had a crash with the tram on Coperation Street and broke his leg. He is not a football fan and when he got to the Mri he and he told me the ward he was on was full of conckneys

A lone blue ran on the pitch and attempted to run towards the Leeds support at the opposite end . Only to be ushered back onto the terracing by Gary Owen . Bricks , bottles and anything else Leeds could get their hands on were coming over into the compound as we exited the terracing . I was certainly glad i`d gone on coach that day rather than face the 3 mile walk back to the rail station !
Was it Gary Owen? just remember a couple of blues coming over & a player coming over ,like you said ushering them back.

I use that coach park every week now going to Ice Hockey ( Car park and Ice Rink now )and I can honestly say it looks a lot closer than it seemed back in the day .

I remember Spurs getting leatherd in a boozer on Wilmslow Road. HE had a crash with the tram on Coperation Street and broke his leg. He is not a football fan and when he got to the Mri he and he told me the ward he was on was full of conckneys
Was this the FA Cup QF in 1993 or the league game in 2001? While most of the trouble at the the former seem to centre around the pitch invasion, there was a lot more widespread trouble in the streets before and after the league game in 2001. So much so that I think after that game, the police declared that all pubs around Maine Road would be closed after the game at all subsequent matches right up until the end of that season (however, if you knew where to go you could still get in certain places!). That game wasn't the only trigger. There had been trouble at plenty of other home games that season, particularly the FA Cup match against Coventry, but the Spurs game was the one that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Was this the FA Cup QF in 1993 or the league game in 2001? While most of the trouble at the the former seem to centre around the pitch invasion, there was a lot more widespread trouble in the streets before and after the league game in 2001. So much so that I think after that game, the police declared that all pubs around Maine Road would be closed after the game at all subsequent matches right up until the end of that season (however, if you knew where to go you could still get in certain places!). That game wasn't the only trigger. There had been trouble at plenty of other home games that season, particularly the FA Cup match against Coventry, but the Spurs game was the one that broke the camel's back so to speak.
I remember it kicking off against spurs on Claremont Road before a game around 2001 time.

As a kid in the seventies we used to call them Leeds weeds. I always remember them getting chased and battered at Maine Road. A very different proposition at their own ground of course.
Some really bad stories of what happened to plenty of Leeds who got followed quietly from the away bit on the Kippax.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.