Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Does anyone have any recollection of playing Sheffield Wednesday in a midweek league cup tie around the late 70’s or early 80’s. Have a vague memory of a large group of Wednesday fans marching up Platt Lane singing, to the tune of Hersham Boys by Sham 69, ‘Wednesday boys, Wednesday boys…

can it be argued that the widespread use of ecstasy in the early 90's was a major factor in such extreme hooliganism ending?
Yeah probably.
I found myself going to Shelley's in Stoke, Hard Times in Huddersfield, Eclipse in Coventry etc etc as well as following City everywhere.
So probably too fooked to fight in the 90s.
The 80s were raw, undiluted terrace/club warfare.
Looking back at 55 now I'm still glad I lived through so much

Does anyone have any recollection of playing Sheffield Wednesday in a midweek league cup tie around the late 70’s or early 80’s. Have a vague memory of a large group of Wednesday fans marching up Platt Lane singing, to the tune of Hersham Boys by Sham 69, ‘Wednesday boys, Wednesday boys…
I remember the game August (79) as we were losing 1-0, but won 2-1 with two late goals.
I don't recall the Wednesday fans singing that tune, but it sounds right as Hersham Boys was released in the Summer of 79.

Was Sept 79 I think.

I had moved to Sheffield from Denton and went to the game with 2 Wednesdayites from work.

I always remember a few lads I know saying that I should not mention the fact I was a City fan if ever I went to Oughtibridge as the local pub had taken a coach to the game and one of them had his eye taken out by a City fan weilding a bike chain.

This was the Luton V Millwall FA Cup QF game. I remember watching it.

Fences, over crowding, not enough police, and Millwall taking the piss.

Watch the video until the end. The Millwall fans attacking the Police with the plastic seats they had ripped out was is insane.

The aftermath.

Despite the trouble and the resulting outcome, this proved to be a 'tipping point' for UK football. Drink bans, ID cards soon followed.

This was the Luton V Millwall FA Cup QF game. I remember watching it.

Fences, over crowding, not enough police, and Millwall taking the piss.

Watch the video until the end. The Millwall fans attacking the Police with the plastic seats they had ripped out was is insane.

The aftermath.

Despite the trouble and the resulting outcome, this proved to be a 'tipping point' for UK football. Drink bans, ID cards soon followed.

My cousin, Luton, was there - as I think a 15 year old… said it was a bit larey

Totally agree with the demographic,
Two England home games I went to one against Greece at the swamp (those at the thirsty scholar ) will know. And a couple of years or so later when we played Iceland at our place things changed probably for the best for many of us.
I was at both (And The Scholar). Almost 66 now, but remember some events like yesterday.

I remember going to the 1st game at wednesday, some wednesday fans was in away end but soon had to leg it over fences, also remember city fans singing we dont like the wednesday because the boomtown rats was number 1 with we dont like mondays the day before

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.