Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Leeds at West Brom, 80’s.

Just one example of how mad football hooliganism or the English disease as it became to be known across Europe.

Look at the male demographics of that Leeds away end. All lads/men. No women. No kids.

Just hundreds, or thousands of lads/men looking for a fight and trouble either with opposing fans, or in many cases, also with the Police.

View attachment 123641
This one was notorious, a young lad died.

What always puzzled me was the how the " background noise" always went eerily quiet seconds before it kicked off. The "background noise" could be chanting, singing, goading, fans gobbing off, or just general chatter between fellow fans. It could be inside or outside the ground, before or after the game, in a pub, on the terraces, walking to the ground, wherever. I called it a mix of experience, being street wise and a 6th sense. Whenever the background noise went eerily quiet, you had a choice......get away asap or be in the thick of it within seconds. Can anyone else relate to this or was it just me?

What always puzzled me was the how the " background noise" always went eerily quiet seconds before it kicked off. The "background noise" could be chanting, singing, goading, fans gobbing off, or just general chatter between fellow fans. It could be inside or outside the ground, before or after the game, in a pub, on the terraces, walking to the ground, wherever. I called it a mix of experience, being street wise and a 6th sense. Whenever the background noise went eerily quiet, you had a choice......get away asap or be in the thick of it within seconds. Can anyone else relate to this or was it just me?

Think it’s the same anywhere. Not just football.

I’ve walked in pubs and can just tell within seconds that there’s a ‘it’s about to kick off’ vibe about the place.

Does anyone have any recollection of playing Sheffield Wednesday in a midweek league cup tie around the late 70’s or early 80’s. Have a vague memory of a large group of Wednesday fans marching up Platt Lane singing, to the tune of Hersham Boys by Sham 69, ‘Wednesday boys, Wednesday boys…
Went to Sheffield Wednesday in 1979 for a league cup game and there was alot of fighting in the City end that night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.