Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

It's funny the thing I always remember about Maine Road is going to and from the games and not the actual game itself.

Anyone remember when "Hat Stealing" was very very popular at Maine Road? You'd be walking along with a large crowd and some guy would just take the hat off another guys head and keep walking...The guy who got his hat stolen would basically punch the person behind him!

This always happened!

I remember 76 away at Leicester first game of season 2-2 red hot day,on the piss after the game left it late and could only get a train as far to Sheffield but a nice young lady put me up for the night in Sheffield and I carried my journey on to Manchester on the Sunday,happy days.
Think it was 77.
How nice was this young lady and you know the rules.

Has anybody in the 2,000 + posts on this thread claimed that?
Nobody may have specifically claimed that in this thread but, in fairness to the poster, ordinary fans' fears were an inevitable consequence of football violence. Moreover, there's a clear inference from some that they look back on the bad old days with a degree of barely disguised excitement, bordering on pride, to have been directly involved.

Dons tin hat and awaits incoming fire.

I remember 76 away at Leicester first game of season 2-2 red hot day,on the piss after the game left it late and could only get a train as far to Sheffield but a nice young lady put me up for the night in Sheffield and I carried my journey on to Manchester on the Sunday,happy days.
My Dad always mentions this game, getting chased by a load of Leicester fans up the road him and his mate having to hide in a shop.
He also said before the game him and his mates went into a pub and out of the blue his mate said to a Leicester fan "go and get 10 of your hardest lads now"

It's funny the thing I always remember about Maine Road is going to and from the games and not the actual game itself.

Anyone remember when "Hat Stealing" was very very popular at Maine Road? You'd be walking along with a large crowd and some guy would just take the hat off another guys head and keep walking...The guy who got his hat stolen would basically punch the person behind him!

This always happened!
Scarf stealing I recall was the trend at one time, to be tied with others with pride.
Had mine ripped from around my neck at goodison leaving a nasty burn mark.
Merseyside was a horrible place to go to in them days, the bent police were in on it also.

Scarf stealing I recall was the trend at one time, to be tied with others with pride.
Merseyside was a horrible place to go to in them days, the bent police were in on it also.

Merseyside is a horrible place to go to everyday

Remember youngsters used to tuck their scarf into the waist band of their jeans ?
This was a disaster when you had a piss, as some scally could nick it, with you trying to chase them and pissing down your leg...

Nobody may have specifically claimed that in this thread but, in fairness to the poster, ordinary fans' fears were an inevitable consequence of football violence. Moreover, there's a clear inference from some that they look back on the bad old days with a degree of barely disguised excitement, bordering on pride, to have been directly involved.

Dons tin hat and awaits incoming fire.

Well there’s a lot of people on this thread, like myself, who are now way too old for any of that nonsense. But who grew up in the era where our teens and early 20s coinciding with the peak years of hooliganism.

I’m not saying it was totally unavoidable for everyone but If you went to away games on public transport, in a reasonably sized group of young men then you were inevitably involved whether you liked it or not.

Some on here went specifically looking for it. Others would be quite happy just having a booze and a laugh but would be quite happy if it came to them. Others would try their upmost to avoid it. But whichever group you fell into, there was no avoiding it.

And yes, as young testosterone filled young men, it was exciting. In a good and a bad way. And when you were finally safe on the way home from a tricky away ground there was a sense of pride if you’d managed to hold your own. As well as relief.

I don’t see anything wrong with reminiscing on your youth and what you got up through a bit of rose tinted glasses.

Analysing it too deeply as men mainly in our 50s and 60s and it probably all does seem a bit silly. But we were mainly young, working class ragamuffins who lived for the buzz of the football on a Saturday and everything that came with it.

There’s no harm in acknowledging that. If it’s not for you, that’s fair enough. Probably best avoiding the thread in future.

Well there’s a lot of people on this thread, like myself, who are now way too old for any of that nonsense. But who grew up in the era where our teens and early 20s coinciding with the peak years of hooliganism.

I’m not saying it was totally unavoidable for everyone but If you went to away games on public transport, in a reasonably sized group of young men then you were inevitably involved whether you liked it or not.

Some on here went specifically looking for it. Others would be quite happy just having a booze and a laugh but would be quite happy if it came to them. Others would try their upmost to avoid it. But whichever group you fell into, there was no avoiding it.

And yes, as young testosterone filled young men, it was exciting. In a good and a bad way. And when you were finally safe on the way home from a tricky away ground there was a sense of pride if you’d managed to hold your own. As well as relief.

I don’t see anything wrong with reminiscing on your youth and what you got up through a bit of rose tinted glasses.

Analysing it too deeply as men mainly in our 50s and 60s and it probably all does seem a bit silly. But we were mainly young, working class ragamuffins who lived for the buzz of the football on a Saturday and everything that came with it.

There’s no harm in acknowledging that. If it’s not for you, that’s fair enough. Probably best avoiding the thread in future.
Bang on !!

Great post Stephen. I suspect we actually agree on all the salient points you make above. I can certainly remember the visceral thrill and emotional rush back in the 70's and 80's that accompanied those moments when you knew trouble was brewing. At the same time, my head was telling me it was fundamentally wrong, particularly when innocent bystanders were at risk of being caught in the crossfire. However, for all the faux moralising of self-appointed arbiters in the media, those feelings probably tap into something primeval in all of us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.