Hooliganism and Violence Maine Road 80's/early 90's

Great post. And gets to the crux of the matter.

I have always maintained that anyone who went rampaging as part of a mob was a complete coward and I have a simple test for anyone who still insists on glorifying the good old days of beating up women and children for sport:
If you were walking round town on a Saturday in the off season and saw a 6’4”, well-built 25 year old walking around wearing an opponents football shirt would you go up to him and offer him a straight, one to one, fight? If not (and let’s be very honest, none of these members of “a firm” would dream of ever having a fair fight - they only fight when they outnumber their opponents 4 or 5 to one) but you would fight him during the season if you had five lads with you for every one one of him, then you’re a bully and a coward.

The number of people you hear, even today, trying to claim that they never went looking for it but only joined in because they were “protecting their fellow fans” is a joke. I’d respect them more if they told the truth “well, I’m a bit of a coward in normal life (nothing wrong with that by the way, it’s called being normal), but when I have 100 fellow lads around me I quite like beating the shit out of young kids and women, older dads and that, and I bloody love smashing up shops and businesses and dragging the name of our club through the mud, cos, you know, “the 80’s” and that, but when I come up against someone of similar stature, in similar numbers, what I do right, is jump
about a lot with my arms outstretched and then run like fuck away as fast as I can, smashing up shops and passersby as I flee as fast as my knuckles can drag me”

The fact that this thread exists on this forum, and I’m certain in similar guises on pretty much every other clubs forums, is depressing.

The truth is that hooligans were, are, and always will be, shithouses, bullies, and cowards. One of the very very very few things I have ever been able to give credit to the conservative governments of the 80’s was the way they destroyed in large part the “firms”. Including our own.

Who were the lads who would only ever fight when it was 4 or 5 onto 1 fighting against?

There were rumours in the pubs in town and at Piccadilly station before one Birmingham night game that a City fan had been stabbed and killed in the Bullring early doors.

Can’t remember if it turned out to be total bullshit or if the stabbing bit was true.

It certainly put an edge on the journey down there, either way.

Who were the lads who would only ever fight when it was 4 or 5 onto 1 fighting against?
Usually dads with their sons or isolated fans who were easy pickings. When there were similar numbers they revert to type. You know, bouncing about waving their arms, but doing very little, if any, actual fighting. Lots of running of course. But little to no fighting.
Scum and shithouses. Cowards too.

Make no mistake. We are not talking about groups of lads nobly defending their clubs honour here. We are talking about groups of knuckle daggers taking out their own frustrations of their inadequate, weak, lives on weaker opponents. The aforementioned fathers and sons, innocent shopkeepers. Women and children etc.

There is a reason the England national teams hooligan following is vastly reduced these days. They got smashed all over France a few years ago by genuine fighting men from Russia and decided they didn't like it when the opponent was able to hit back.

Usually dads with their sons or isolated fans who were easy pickings. When there were similar numbers they revert to type. You know, bouncing about waving their arms, but doing very little, if any, actual fighting. Lots of running of course. But little to no fighting.

Make no mistake. We are not talking about groups of lads nobly defending their clubs honour here. We are talking about groups of knuckle daggers taking out their own frustrations of their inadequate, weak, lives on weaker opponents. The aforementioned fathers and sons, innocent shopkeepers. Women and children etc.

There is a reason the England national teams hooligan following is vastly reduced these days. They got smashed all over France a few years ago by genuine fighting men from Russia and decided they didn't like it when the opponent was able to hit back.

You’re doing exactly what you’ve accused others of doing.

Glorifying a bunch of ‘genuine fighting men’ who ran through the streets of Marseille smashing anyone in the wake.

There were no hooligans there to fight back because they’re all banned from travelling.

clueless......although I have seen Utd and Leeds beating up Dads with kids ...you're right there

You’re doing exactly what you’ve accused others of doing.

Glorifying a bunch of ‘genuine fighting men’ who ran through the streets of Marseille smashing anyone in the wake.

There were no hooligans there to fight back because they’re all banned from travelling.
This one (Kazimierz Deyna RIP) pops on this thread and similar spouting clueless shit a lot. No bouncing around in the 70's. You'd be fucked

Spurs away late 1970's game ended 2-2
On Helens coach think 2 Finglands coaches in total from the supporters club and we were parked up on a housing estate in a cul-de-sac.
Hated Spurs ever since for that piss take after the game.

Spurs away late 1970's game ended 2-2
On Helens coach think 2 Finglands coaches in total from the supporters club and we were parked up on a housing estate in a cul-de-sac.
Hated Spurs ever since for that piss take after the game.
Heard a story once where Helen smashed her bell over a spurs nobheads head who steamed on to her coach . Dunno if it actually happened. Like to think it did.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.