How are we all feeling about our club today?

Feeling proud of the fans, supporters groups, players and (can’t believe I’m saying this on) politicians who applied pressure. And of course Pep too, who really stuck his neck out at a vital time with that press conference.

Still angry at the ones at the top of the club who put this plan into motion. A proper explanation, apology and changes are needed.

And finally feel sorry for the conspiracy theorists on here who think this was some long con on behalf of the club to screw over the ‘cartel’. QAnon forum’s that way lads —>

I can't help but be filled with the certainty that we've missed the biggest PR opportunity since the takeover. I'm sure the decision was taken at the Sheikh's level, but if we as a club had the foresight to see how this would play out, by standing up and not being the only english team not included (like Bayern did) we would have become the club that saved football. It would have had huge ramifications for the way we are perceived as a club.
Absolutely. Can’t believe folk are telling themselves we were bullied into the being affiliated or that we panicked. If that’s true it’s even more disappointing. That is pure weaknesses of character.

Are you seriously telling me they didn't know what the backlash would be and that it wouldn't exactly sound like music to their ears? Ask yourself that question then think about why?
Too many Corinthians (or maybe Corbynites) who sanctimoniosly think our owners should act as paragons of propriety in a tank full of sharks and crocodiles. Like it or not football is and has been a dirty business. Just look at the last 30 years with the PL and CL. That doesn't mean I like it to be that way but I'm grateful we have owners who are clever enough to give predators a punch between the eyes.
In an ideal world a German type model would be much more acceptable and indeed I have advocated for it in fanzines many bluemoons ago. Fans do matter ...more than anything, but they understand the machinations and the majority will be be both indignant yet sanguine and pragmatic.
Just think of this before launching into fits of self flagellation
We didnt start the fire

No, we didn't.

But we did choose to throw petrol on the fucking thing!

It seems that the ESL haven't learned their lesson yet, the yanks are still spouting with this press release.

This statement has been released on behalf of the ESL today: “The European Super League is convinced that the current status quo of European football needs to change.

“We are proposing a new European competition because the existing system does not work. Our proposal is aimed at allowing the sport to evolve while generating resources and stability for the full football pyramid, including helping to overcome the financial difficulties experienced by the entire football community as a result of the pandemic. It would also provide materially enhanced solidarity payments to all football stakeholders.

“Despite the announced departure of the English clubs, forced to take such decisions due to the pressure put on them, we are convinced our proposal is fully aligned with European law and regulations as was demonstrated today by a court decision to protect the Super League from third party actions.”

not entirely mate and what if it wasn’t as last minute as has been reported? I don’t see khaldoon being flustered into joining anything? This is a guy who does some of the worlds biggest investment deals and meets and deals with world leaders?!? Yet he would be panicked into doing this!? He doesn’t come across as someone who panics easily imo.
That's what baffles me. Khaldoon is a sophisticated businessman, so how could we get into this mess? Trojan horse is one explanation but there is absolutely no evidence for it. Not a peep nor a hint from City. Would we not give a clue, once the thing came crashing down?
Baffled.

Absolutely. Can’t believe folk are telling themselves we were bullied into the being affiliated or that we panicked. If that’s true it’s even more disappointing. That is pure weaknesses of character.
I suspect there is some truth in that but I don't blame The Sheikh (or his board) for making a huge call which would have assured the club's future. But it was the wrong call.

I'm not interested in some fake "apology" or patronising "explanation". I accept this for what it was and I don't love or support City any less. Don't hate the player, hate the game is I think the expression amongst those much younger than me.

You would need to show how we could have laid a trap in something of which we played no part. This was a plot by the spanish to get over their debt problems and by the yanks to create a no relegation cash cow. We were not in the loop.
My thoughts on that are made very clear in the other thread.
The football world is very small, everybody knows everybody. To say we played no part is an understatement, we played our part make no mistake.
At our club we have an owner who not only is a member of a royal family but also a politician from the UAE. If you take it down one more to Khaldoon, he has been in businessman his whole life and educated in America so he knows their ways. That's pretty impressive stuff. You don't mess about with politicians let alone royal family members.
Then you have these others, lets focus on the yanks of the 3 clubs. Who quite frankly are nothing but small time businessmen in the grand scheme of it all compared to ours.
Hence the grovelling video from John Henry this morning. Pretty embarrassing if you ask me! He would have been better off staying silent, at least until the dust has settled for 24-48 hours.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.