How do you feel about our success - Old Blues?

We tried using youth players when we had our best ever crop Redmond, Lake, White etc.

I'd love to win it with a proper homegrown team but let's face it the days of Celtic winning the European Cup with a team of Glasweagens has long gone.

Alex Harley said:
I don't think money spent ever enters my mind when City take the field All I want and ever wanted was for City to win Perhaps our generation was spoiled (b1946) after years of mediocrity late 50's and early 60's the usual depths interspersed with the odd moment of absolute joy. Suddenly we had a team and without the millstone of a mortgage and family was able to go to almost every game,our first steps in Europe etc The relegation of 1983 was a blow we really have never recovered from and heralded some dark times we now emerging from.
I have 2 sons both in thier 30's who until last season had never seen City win anything of note So when I get told we are buying the title what always stops them in their tracks is my reply
'yes we are and I hope we buy many more'
I don't care how much it costs I want to see us win the league again at least once before I shuffle off this mortal coil
CTID

Any of you young whippersnappers who claim they've seen nowt but dross, YouTube a bit of the early 50s or 60s. Worse than wretched!

Tbilisi said:
Having a bit of a crisis on top of my mid life one.

Although I obviously want City to win the league its more for my kids sake.To be honest I am struggling with the fact that we, like everyone I have ever despised in football(SKY 4 inc Rags)are in effect buying the title.Its not how I imagined it to happen and I am struggling to come to terms with it.

I know non of it makes sense,I have seen us lose at Halifax etc and had to deal with Pinks who have bnever been near the swamp over the years but I was proud of the fact I was a proper football supporter.

I wonder if Im on my own with other Older Blues on here in thinking this way or do I just need some help?

I have to admit it was great working it up the reds in October but I got much more pleasure out of it in 2003 and 1989.

I've been throough the mill and back from Bert, to David Silva, I never thought I'd see a team to touch Bell, Lee, Summerbee et al but I am loving every minute watching this team. Every single minute and you know what they will get even better.

Big Swifty said:
Don't beat yourself up about it. Football is, like it or not, a business. Every business requires investment, and looks around for an investor. We have one.
If we had spent money and ended up with a crap product, then that is worth worrying about. But the stuff we produce is magical, and as one who has been a supporter since before you (1946), I can assure you that even our best sides (1954-56, 1967-71, 75-78) could not hold a candle to what we see now. We shall in the fullness of time be self-financing and saddoes who point the finger will be forced to wind their necks in.
Jealousy.

Post of the thread for me..

I'm one of the old brigade, first match 1956, went to Newcastle in 1968 to see us when we last won the league. If we win the title this year the feeling will probably be greater than in 1968, because since then we've had to endure some pretty dire times. Forget how much we've spent on players (no investment, no hope), enjoy what we see, in my opinion the best City side in my lifetime.

Tbilisi said:

Although I obviously want City to win the league its more for my kids sake.To be honest I am struggling with the fact that we, like everyone I have ever despised in football(SKY 4 inc Rags)are in effect buying the title.Its not how I imagined it to happen and I am struggling to come to terms with it.

I know non of it makes sense,I have seen us lose at Halifax etc and had to deal with Pinks who have never been near the swamp over the years but I was proud of the fact I was a proper football supporter.

I wonder if Im on my own with other Older Blues on here in thinking this way or do I just need some help?

I have to admit it was great working it up the reds in October but I got much more pleasure out of it in 2003 and 1989.
Harry Dowd
Tony Book (c) - bought
Glyn Pardoe
Mike Doyle
Tommy Booth
Alan Oakes
Mike Summerbee - bought
Colin Bell - bought
Francis Lee - bought
Neil Young
Tony Coleman - bought

Almost half of our last title winning team were bought.

Frank Swift
Laurie Barnett - bought
Bill Dale - bought
Matt Busby
Sam Cowan (c) - bought
Jackie Bray
Peter Doherty - bought
Ernie Toseland
Bobby Marshall - bought
Alec Herd
Eric Brook - bought
Fred Tilson

Half of our first title winning side were bought.

We deserve it.
I see it as reward for our un-wavering loyality and support when the club really needed us.
As for buying it, we have but not just with the backing of our great owner but with passion and love for a football club that most plastic armchair idiots couldn't possibly comprehend.

Enjoy it, we've earned it.

As a middle aged old git myself, I cannot believe what I am seeing.

I never thought I would see it in my lifetime.

I never thought my children who I have forced down the straight and narrow would be at the start - hopefully - of a lifetime of this.....

joy, joy and more joy!!!!!!!

enjoy.

danburge82 said:
Tbilisi said:

I know non of it makes sense,I have seen us lose at Halifax etc and had to deal with Pinks who have never been near the swamp over the years but I was proud of the fact I was a proper football supporter.

Harry Dowd
Tony Book (c) - bought
Glyn Pardoe
Mike Doyle
Tommy Booth
Alan Oakes
Mike Summerbee - bought
Colin Bell - bought
Francis Lee - bought
Neil Young
Tony Coleman - bought

Frank Swift
Laurie Barnett - bought
Bill Dale - bought
Matt Busby
Sam Cowan (c) - bought
Jackie Bray
Peter Doherty - bought
Ernie Toseland
Bobby Marshall - bought
Alec Herd
Eric Brook - bought
Fred Tilson

Ken Mulhearn was goalie in our last title winning side and he was also 'bought' from Stockport in a deal which sent Alan Ogley the other way. Harry Dowd played in the Cup Winning side the following season.

BillCarlisle Ex-Manchester said:
danburge82 said:
Tbilisi said:

Harry Dowd
Tony Book (c) - bought
Glyn Pardoe
Mike Doyle
Tommy Booth
Alan Oakes
Mike Summerbee - bought
Colin Bell - bought
Francis Lee - bought
Neil Young
Tony Coleman - bought

Frank Swift
Laurie Barnett - bought
Bill Dale - bought
Matt Busby
Sam Cowan (c) - bought
Jackie Bray
Peter Doherty - bought
Ernie Toseland
Bobby Marshall - bought
Alec Herd
Eric Brook - bought
Fred Tilson

Ken Mulhearn was goalie in our last title winning side and he was also 'bought' from Stockport in a deal which sent Alan Ogley the other way. Harry Dowd played in the Cup Winning side the following season.
So over 50% of both of our title winning sides were bought.

Throughout the whole of history, every single bit of success any sports club has achieved has been bought. Even if the players were not bought from another club, a lot of money was spent on youth systems to bring them through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.