How do you feel about our success - Old Blues?

danburge82 said:
BillCarlisle Ex-Manchester said:
danburge82 said:
Harry Dowd
Tony Book (c) - bought
Glyn Pardoe
Mike Doyle
Tommy Booth
Alan Oakes
Mike Summerbee - bought
Colin Bell - bought
Francis Lee - bought
Neil Young
Tony Coleman - bought

Almost half of our last title winning team were bought.

Frank Swift
Laurie Barnett - bought
Bill Dale - bought
Matt Busby
Sam Cowan (c) - bought
Jackie Bray
Peter Doherty - bought
Ernie Toseland
Bobby Marshall - bought
Alec Herd
Eric Brook - bought
Fred Tilson

Half of our first title winning side were bought.

Ken Mulhearn was goalie in our last title winning side and he was also 'bought' from Stockport in a deal which sent Alan Ogley the other way. Harry Dowd played in the Cup Winning side the following season.
So over 50% of both of our title winning sides were bought.

Throughout the whole of history, every single bit of success any sports club has achieved has been bought. Even if the players were not bought from another club, a lot of money was spent on youth systems to bring them through.

Edit my earlier post - Tommy Booth didn't play in the title winning team either. It was George Heslop, who was also bought from Everton.

Looking at it now it's not that much different than the current situation, it's just that the level of money spent has increased. That's the same for everyone.

danburge82 said:
Tbilisi said:
Having a bit of a crisis on top of my mid life one.

Although I obviously want City to win the league its more for my kids sake.To be honest I am struggling with the fact that we, like everyone I have ever despised in football(SKY 4 inc Rags)are in effect buying the title.Its not how I imagined it to happen and I am struggling to come to terms with it.

I know non of it makes sense,I have seen us lose at Halifax etc and had to deal with Pinks who have never been near the swamp over the years but I was proud of the fact I was a proper football supporter.

I wonder if Im on my own with other Older Blues on here in thinking this way or do I just need some help?

I have to admit it was great working it up the reds in October but I got much more pleasure out of it in 2003 and 1989.
Harry Dowd
Tony Book (c) - bought
Glyn Pardoe
Mike Doyle
Tommy Booth
Alan Oakes
Mike Summerbee - bought
Colin Bell - bought
Francis Lee - bought
Neil Young
Tony Coleman - bought

Frank Swift
Laurie Barnett - bought
Bill Dale - bought
Matt Busby
Sam Cowan (c) - bought
Jackie Bray
Peter Doherty - bought
Ernie Toseland
Bobby Marshall - bought
Alec Herd
Eric Brook - bought
Fred Tilson

George Heslop mate,not Tommy Booth,bought from Everton

We're not buying the title. As far as I'm aware, if we walked into the Premier League HQ and handed over £1 billion, they wouldn't be allowed to sell us the trophy (although some of the bent feckers might try!).

What we have done is invest in our team and recruit a top class Manager to shape it into potential title winners. This is exactly what every other title winner has done over the years. The difference? We've done it quicker because we have the good fortune of having a wealthy investor. Its all above board.

I've been going since the early 70s, and I don't feel an ounce of guilt or regret about what our club is doing, in fact I'm proud of it. The numpties that say we have no history are clearly just ignorant of the past of our great club, probably because they are unable to see further back than 1992. There are lots of clubs around with great history and traditions and that doesn't disappear just because they haven't won the PL in recent years.

We are achieving success and creating a lasting legacy for our fans and the City of Manchester. Whether you feel you've paid your dues or not, my only advice to all blues of all ages is to chill out and enjoy it, I know I am.

I'm loving it will be 50 in few weeks first game 1978 and think it's great as others have said just enjoy it we had all the doom and gloom now enjoying the brighter times also as others have said not first team to do it and won't be last -

Blackburn
Chelsea
Rags

even Spuds and Liverpool big big spenders recently but not good enough

ob said:
I'm loving it will be 50 in few weeks first game 1978 and think it's great as others have said just enjoy it we had all the doom and gloom now enjoying the brighter times also as others have said not first team to do it and won't be last -

Blackburn
Chelsea
Rags

even Spuds and Liverpool big big spenders recently but not good enough
Indeed; in the last five years Liverpool and Spurs have spent the second and thirds most amount of money on players after us.

Tbilisi said:

Although I obviously want City to win the league its more for my kids sake.To be honest I am struggling with the fact that we, like everyone I have ever despised in football(SKY 4 inc Rags)are in effect buying the title.Its not how I imagined it to happen and I am struggling to come to terms with it.

I know non of it makes sense,I have seen us lose at Halifax etc and had to deal with Pinks who have never been near the swamp over the years but I was proud of the fact I was a proper football supporter.

I wonder if Im on my own with other Older Blues on here in thinking this way or do I just need some help?

I have to admit it was great working it up the reds in October but I got much more pleasure out of it in 2003 and 1989.

Suspect I am even older ! - There is nothing wrong with setting out to become the best in the world in the best sport in the world - It should be a matter of pride for all Blues - and the football is just sublime now

I'm 57 and loving it, some of you need to leave the guilt trip at home.

As has been said, ever since professional football started teams have "bought" success. Preston's "Invincibles" that won the first ever league title (and the double) and remained unbeaten all season had signed up some of the best Scottish players on high wages but that hardly gets mentioned now.

And if Arsenal fans start having a pop remind them of how they appointed Herbert Chapman from Huddersfield and doubled his wages and then gave him the money to build a team that dominated English football in the early 30s. They broke the British transfer record twice in the run up to WW2.

danburge82 said:
Tbilisi said:

Harry Dowd
Tony Book (c) - bought
Glyn Pardoe
Mike Doyle
Tommy Booth
Alan Oakes
Mike Summerbee - bought
Colin Bell - bought
Francis Lee - bought
Neil Young
Tony Coleman - bought

Frank Swift
Laurie Barnett - bought
Bill Dale - bought
Matt Busby
Sam Cowan (c) - bought
Jackie Bray
Peter Doherty - bought
Ernie Toseland
Bobby Marshall - bought
Alec Herd
Eric Brook - bought
Fred Tilson

Sam Cowan left in 1935, think you mean Sam Barkas who was bought from Bradford C in 1928. Barkas was captain having taken over from Busby at thestart of the season. Matt Busby had left for Liverpool towards the end of the 35/36 season so did not play either in the 1936/37 championship season. Fred Tilson was also bought from Barnsley in 1928. Sorry to be so pedantic!! ;-) (I've written a book on this season, to be published soon)

salford blue 62 said:
we deserve every pot coming our way ! the scum have been buying success for years.

bang on the money mate, as have every other premier league winner, anyone who thinks otherwise is dreaming.

99 times out of 100 money wins that's just the way of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.