How fast is your broadband

2215115044.png

Ragnarok said:
You lot are lucky you know, i think the maximum download speeds available over here are 2 mb per second.

And that's only in the metros.
To put things in perspective...
2215460597.png

Can someone who knows what they are talking about help me please.

Been on the phone to sky and they have said due to the line and distance from the exchanged (1.7km) etc the best download speeds I will get will be around 2.5mb. Obviously this is not acceptable. I only have a land line for the broadband and all in its £20 a month.

So I have checked on the BT and Virgin sites and they are quoting speeds of 3.5 - 5.5 mb for a little bit more dough but still thats pretty poor I thought?? Are they checking the speeds on the sky line and that is affecting it or am i just not in a good area?

Anyone else I should try??

johnmc said:

Been on the phone to sky and they have said due to the line and distance from the exchanged (1.7km) etc the best download speeds I will get will be around 2.5mb. Obviously this is not acceptable. I only have a land line for the broadband and all in its £20 a month.

So I have checked on the BT and Virgin sites and they are quoting speeds of 3.5 - 5.5 mb for a little bit more dough but still thats pretty poor I thought?? Are they checking the speeds on the sky line and that is affecting it or am i just not in a good area?

Your just not in a good area. They will all give you the same speed, they just try to sell it with "up to" to make it sound better. If its going down your phone line, each provider's max speed will be the same.

Nothing you can do about that. If your in a Cable area, you will be able to use Virgin's superfast Fiber service, but i'm assuming since you've spoken to them that you are not in a cable area.

johnmc said:

I have the same problem John, no cable and quite far from a junction box. They all promise those speeds but the reality is that they will all hit around the 2.5 mark no matter what they try and say. If you have a stable broadband then stick with the one you have. I am on SKY and have never had any problems.

BimboBob said:
I have the same problem John, no cable and quite far from a junction box. They all promise those speeds but the reality is that they will all hit around the 2.5 mark no matter what they try and say. If you have a stable broadband then stick with the one you have. I am on SKY and have never had any problems.

Really? Everything takes an age to download

johnmc said:
BimboBob said:

Really? Everything takes an age to download

Same for me though it does seem to speed up late in the evenings and during the day.

markbmcfc said:
Your just not in a good area. They will all give you the same speed, they just try to sell it with "up to" to make it sound better. If its going down your phone line, each provider's max speed will be the same.

Nothing you can do about that. If your in a Cable area, you will be able to use Virgin's superfast Fiber service, but i'm assuming since you've spoken to them that you are not in a cable area.

BT quoted 41mb but want £40 a month. Virgin is coming back with speeds of 1.6-4.4 so presume I cant get there fast stuff

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.