How fast is your broadband

Worth pointing out if you're using a desktop and getting a shit speed. When I got my internet around 2004/5 it came with a 'usb to ethernet' connector (NTL). I've never got more than 6 until a few months ago. I phoned (now Virgin) to see what was up as I should by now be gettin about 20 after the 2nd upgrade.

He couldn't work out what was wrong so he sent me out a superhub to see if it made a diference. Still gettin around 6. Turns out it was the usb/ethernet adapter not being able to take the extra speed.

Now gettin around 32/35

Another thing. Fuckin freaked me out when the bloke from Virgin took control of my pc from his end, then started pointing out all my games on my desktop "that's a good game, that's a good game"... All fuckin torrents :)

3aramyqe.jpg

Fiber optic here in Texas...and that's about 40 mb/s slower than it should be...

Advertised as up to 24 meg, used to get 18/19 meg and I'm about half a mile from the exchange. About 2 years ago bit dropped overnight to 12/13 meg, which is where I am now. Eyeing up BT Infinity or Virgin for the future.

With BE. Router went about a month ago and they replaced free fo charge, wireless in the house is much more responsive now, they seemed shocked that I still had one of their old Thompson models.

Just checked BT Infinity, my exchange in enabled but can;t get it on my line. Probably would have switched today if was available, rumours about BE's financial stability atm, they were looking at fibre optic but pulled out earlier this year and never gave a clear reason.

bluetonium said:
Just checked BT Infinity, my exchange in enabled but can;t get it on my line. Probably would have switched today if was available, rumours about BE's financial stability atm, they were looking at fibre optic but pulled out earlier this year and never gave a clear reason.
What do you mean? Exchange is enabled? Do you have a new Street cabinet (green box with "BT Fibre optic is here" written on it) in your area? If so, you can get Infinity. Engineer enables your copper phone cable to accept the fibre optic download/upload speeds. He/she changes your main phone point from ADSL to VDSL enabling fibre hub to talk to Super Hub 3 and give fibre optic speeds.

tueartsboots said:
bluetonium said:
What do you mean? Exchange is enabled? Do you have a new Street cabinet (green box with "BT Fibre optic is here" written on it) in your area? If so, you can get Infinity. Engineer enables your copper phone cable to accept the fibre optic download/upload speeds. He/she changes your main phone point from ADSL to VDSL enabling fibre hub to talk to Super Hub 3 and give fibre optic speeds.
The exchange (Mercury) is listed as enabled for infinity on BT's website, but when I use their infinity checker on the BT website it says I can't get it yet. There is a box at the and of our road, it's green but I can't say I've paid much more attention to it that that. Usually has dog pee tickling from one corner though, probably the same lot who let their dog defecate in front of our house and never clean it up, even though both we and next door have toddlers playing about. Anyway... Apparently we may be connected directly to the exchange, or this specific cabinet is not yet enabled.

<a class="postlink" href="http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13922/~/bt-infinity-has-reached-my-area,-but-the-availability-checker-says-i-can%27t-get" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta ... an%27t-get</a>

bluetonium said:
tueartsboots said:
bluetonium said:
The exchange (Mercury) is listed as enabled for infinity on BT's website, but when I use their infinity checker on the BT website it says I can't get it yet. There is a box at the and of our road, it's green but I can't say I've paid much more attention to it that that. Usually has dog pee tickling from one corner though, probably the same lot who let their dog defecate in front of our house and never clean it up, even though both we and next door have toddlers playing about. Anyway... Apparently we may be connected directly to the exchange, or this specific cabinet is not yet enabled.

<a class="postlink" href="http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13922/~/bt-infinity-has-reached-my-area,-but-the-availability-checker-says-i-can%27t-get" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta ... an%27t-get</a>
Hmmm, that's something we're not told about ! Do you have BT Total BB?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.