How good was last season's City?

I remember us being labeled as failures not so long ago last season when it looked like we were only going to the "milk" cup. To win the league and shut the rag and scouse media up, this title win is better to saviour than it was in 2012.

nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
I remember us being labeled as failures not so long ago last season when it looked like we were only going to the "milk" cup. To win the league and shut the rag and scouse media up, this title win is better to saviour than it was in 2012.

Not to mention the visionless and daft element within our fan base.

Didsbury Dave said:
nobody can eat fifty eggs said:

Not to mention the visionless and daft element within our fan base.
I agree, the narrow thinking shit bags :)

Felt like we come of age and matured into a professional team,Pellegrini must take an awful lot of credit for gelling the performances the way he did,let's have more and better next season.

9/10

I fully expected to win the league, hence my location which was made when some had reservations about him.

Guys new to the league, plays the best football seen ever by fans until our glorious pairing both became injured. We pass it around like Barca but are more ruthless and exciting to watch. I fancy us to better our performances as we are surely more likely to have less injuries as well as having Jovetic and Nastasic back whom will be like two new signings. The additions of Sagna and Fernando will boost our squad immensely, Fernando in particular will enable us to have a solid three man midfield which will be vital in CL games and games against the league rivals. Fernando, Fernandinho and Yaya with Silva, Jovetic and Aguero as a 4-3-3 is as good as it gets in world football. Pellegrini along with the squad will only get better, doing a double is a great feat but getting into the semis of CL and winning the league are my priority and the clubs too I'd imagine.

Great season, I predict a greater season 14/15, the futures BLUE :)

Well now, here's the thing. Yesterday, for the umpteenth time, I watched the goals from 2011-12 straight through (I hope that there'll soon be the same thing on the OS for the season just passed) to try to answer exactly this question to my satisfaction. Now we were absolutely blowing teams away without a care in the world up until about Christmas. I loved it all, but it almost looks to me as it was a confidence thing: we're just flying along on a sort of magic carpet of confidence. When the going got tough, we folded a bit. Whatever you may think about Carlitos, it does look rather as if his return reboosted us. Obviously, in the return match against Chelsea, and then, spectacularly, against Norwich, where the goal difference which in the end turned out to be crucial was turned once again in our favour.
This season felt pretty different. In terms of technique and skill, this current team compares handsomely with that one, and then some. Two potentially highly gifted footballers are gone — Balotelli and Tevez — but they were both, in their way, people who rocked the boat. Two players who played a fairly major part in 2011-12 have been sidelined: Micah and Joleon. (Not sure for my part that Micah has no future at City). That's sad, but the world moves on. Of the five players acquired this year — Ferny, Beast, Navas, Demichelis and Jovetic — four have definitely proved their worth, the last hasn't had enough playing time, but there are signs that he'll come through. He's the one I'm expecting most of next season, in fact.
Mentally, I'm certain that we're a more balanced, composed, self-assured team than the 2011-12 one. Success breeds success. We've been there, we've done it. We're mentally tougher, too. Not a doubt about it. Going away to Everton and beating them when we absolutely had to do it. That is called delivering the goods when it matters. Under that pressure, would the 2011-12 team have performed as well? I have my doubts. And the Hull game — well, doesn't that say it all about mental toughness. Even coming back from 2-0 down against the dippers, looking like being overrun for a bit there, to 2-2, and having them shitting themselves. Not sure that that's something the 2011-12 team could have achieved.
So yes, this is the best there's been. Ever. That's my honest, sober opinion. Now the scary part. New manager, with a new style. Five new players bedding in. Serial injuries. Exactly how good can it get… ?

It was an amazing season with the double trophy haul. And I've been a Pellers outter, a charming man indeed, the engineers is.

It is somewhat unfair to compare this 2014 with the 2012 title, do you reckon? Different times, different pressure, different mind games, Mancini owning the GPC and the sick swan, and though most of the key players were on both, the way of grinding 4 nils is a very new sight. And those Hull, Everton, Palace away games, very professional.

Wonder what would Gene Hunt had said of these wonderful times.

Put it this way, we were a decent performance v Wigan away from winning an unprecedented domestic treble. Arsenal and Hull would not have stopped us at Wembley, as they actually try to attack. I can't believe how close we were to the treble. Fucking Wigan at home!!! So yeah, it was an incredible season. I just love the mentality of this team. When Liverpool beat us, the fans are going ballistic, their players are doing a huddle/team talk on the pitch etc. when we won v Everton and Aston Villa, Vinnie is calm as a cucumber. He's been there before, the whole squad have, nothing phases them. And that stems from Pellegrini too. When we lose, he's not suicidal. And when we win, he never gets carried away. We are always focused on ourselves, on what WE need to do. And then they go and do it. If next season is another tight one, we'll take it again. Our squad is so strong mentally. And every trophy only makes them stronger.

I suppose I've just been asking myself, for the past three weeks or so, ok, so where are we, have we moved forward? And I've been asking City mates that, explicitly. I think that's a valid question. And I'm answering, pretty firmly, yes. Yes, we've definitely progressed from two years back. Not only because we won two trophies — although that's part of it (and by the way, I agree with the last post, we were just one match away from doing a phenomenal treble, because I believe we would have won had we got to Wembley) — but in terms that lay down a solid foundation for the future. Personally, I want to skip over this thing called the World Cup — ;-) — roll on the first match of 2014-15, I say!

Tricky_Trev said:
Put it this way, we were a decent performance v Wigan away from winning an unprecedented domestic treble. Arsenal and Hull would not have stopped us at Wembley, as they actually try to attack. I can't believe how close we were to the treble. Fucking Wigan at home!!! So yeah, it was an incredible season. I just love the mentality of this team. When Liverpool beat us, the fans are going ballistic, their players are doing a huddle/team talk on the pitch etc. when we won v Everton and Aston Villa, Vinnie is calm as a cucumber. He's been there before, the whole squad have, nothing phases them. And that stems from Pellegrini too. When we lose, he's not suicidal. And when we win, he never gets carried away. We are always focused on ourselves, on what WE need to do. And then they go and do it. If next season is another tight one, we'll take it again. Our squad is so strong mentally. And every trophy only makes them stronger.

This all day long. Pellegrini was admirable in his handling of the press. They are professional winder-uppers. That's what gets you copy, that's what sells newsprint. And he just refused to play their game, right through the season. He was downright boring (in their terms), and it was great! Over and over again, they would fish for a controversial comment against Rogers, Mourinho, or whoever, and he just wasn't going down that road. Go back to the press conferences, and count the number of times he says "I repeat exactly what I told you last week" — I got to love listening out for his Chilean rendering of exactly as "essakly". Another thing: he said, calmly and quietly, in the last months, "I am certain that the others will drop points". Nobody much listened to him. I can't hold my hand up and swear that I always believed him. Then… Liverpool vs Chelsea. Chelsea vs Sunderland. Palace vs Liverpool. That man is an engineer. A mind engineer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.