How good was Nig tonight (again)?!

its a shame that when big nige has a stormer we always lose. basically because he plays well in games when we are under lots of pressure and that gives him a platform to shine.

ramsdale4 said:
NDJ was immense last night and has been all season.

Is he too one dimensional to play in a four man midfield at home though?

Yes.

Nigel did what last night what Nigel does best. His tackling was awesome.

But when you are one of two in a centre midfield partnership, tackling alone is not enough. Passing ability, being able to carry the ball 15 or 20 yards forward (perhaps even taking on a player or two) and even contributing a goal or assist or two during the course of the season is what I'm looking for from a midfielder.

In a 5 man midfield, Nige is the man. In a 4 man, leaves a lot to be desired.
As others have pointed out, perhaps if the other midfielder in the centre mid partnership offered some of these qualities Nigel could continue to concentrate on his defensive midfield duties

I'd love it to be captain Nigel next season!

some guy at the game last night said "go on Nigel you fucking sick bastard, break his legs!" when he was gonna tackle Huddlestone.

That just sums him up for me!

He was excellent, along with Johnson and Fulop.

Nige was everywhere last night and clearly would benefit from having a decent creative type and another box to box alongside him.

Barry continues to be too passive and is not going to get any quicker.

De Jong also demonstrates a big game mentality. I am a big fan of Kompany, but he does seem to allow the situation to overwhelm him at times.

It's a tough one as he's been fantastic for the last 4 or 5 games.

However, in a 4 man midfield, despite him looking brilliant, that type of player isn't good for us, if that makes sense.

Now he'd be class in a diamond where he can play as an out and out holding player, but that requires two quality full backs to provide the attacking width and it requires two central midfielders who are very good on the ball.

Because we don't have the set-up (not De Jongs fault), despite him playing really well, the team suffers as an attacking force, as neither him or Barry can offer anything in the final third. In a 4-4-2 you need two central midfielders who can attack and defend. At the minute we have a destroyer and somebody who can 'tidy up', which all in all, isn't really enough for us to be as good as most on here want us to be.

I can't wait to see what happens over the summer, as it's clear we need improving in quite a few areas. De Jong is definitely one player i'd love to stick around.

whys zabba not getting in on this wankfest, he was incredible last night

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.