How good were Pink Floyd?

I went off them after Momentary Lapse of Reason. I love Gilmour's vocals and superb guitar, but Floyd lost the moody scathing cynicism and angst that Waters provided in his lyrics. The Final Cut was a very underrated album. As for Roger Waters solo stuff, well the guy is a genius in my eyes.

@chesterbells Did you get round to listening to his solo albums, pal? I think it was you was asking about them.

I did end up doing a ‘compare & contrast’ of his On An island with his self titled debut from the late 70s. Island I found very ‘stately’ but preferred his first album more, which I guess is unsurprising as I think he did it around the time of Animals didn’t he? It certainly had more edge and variety, whereas his later album lacked that. Having said that, by the age he was when Island was written maybe one shouldn’t judge too harshly - at least he was still being creative I guess! There was a decent track called Pocket o Stones I think, which was quite notable.
His later albums should definitely be called by David & Polly though - she writes all most of lyrics I thought I’d read.

You've done it now. One thing I learnt about music was you fight a losing battle unfortunately if you slag off
Bowie
Pink Floyd
Queen.

Went to Queen at Maine Road to see what all the fuss was about, but never bought a record. Their playing Sun City & breaking the apartheid ban never sat right with me. Even now I have a love/hate relationship with them & their music.

I did end up doing a ‘compare & contrast’ of his On An island with his self titled debut from the late 70s. Island I found very ‘stately’ but preferred his first album more, which I guess is unsurprising as I think he did it around the time of Animals didn’t he? It certainly had more edge and variety, whereas his later album lacked that. Having said that, by the age he was when Island was written maybe one shouldn’t judge too harshly - at least he was still being creative I guess! There was a decent track called Pocket o Stones I think, which was quite notable.
His later albums should definitely be called by David & Polly though - she writes all most of lyrics I thought I’d read.
I was asking if you had listened to any Waters solo albums, not Gilmour's! Are you still drunk or summat? ; )

I went off them after Momentary Lapse of Reason. I love Gilmour's vocals and superb guitar, but Floyd lost the moody scathing cynicism and angst that Waters provided in his lyrics. The Final Cut was a very underrated album. As for Roger Waters solo stuff, well the guy is a genius in my eyes.

@chesterbells Did you get round to listening to his solo albums, pal? I think it was you was asking about them.
His solo stuff has it’s pros and cons.

I would add oasis to that list tbf, god forbid you say they were not that good around here ;-)

Bowie = genius at times
Flyod = decent but once you have heard them you don't need to go back, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to put their stuff on.
Queen = I"ll accept I like fat bottom girls and the flash gordon film , the rest I can take or leave. With the preference on leave.

But yes it is true across many forums say you don't like floyd or Zeplin and you are cast out as a parriah for having an opposite opinion.
I'd agree with your analysis.
I just don't get this PF worship.
The music is pretty dirge-like slow and ploding.
Except for David they weren't very good musicians.
Unlike King crimson Steely Dan and Yes who were all virtuoso musicians.

Most posters are right, apart from Gilmore, Pink Floyd aren't great musicians and if you listen to their 70s studio albums they aren't virtuoso in any way. Also, compared to prog rock bands like King Crimson, Yes, ELP and the like, they aren't very sophisticated either.
Gilmore has a unique sounding voice and guitar, Waters is an okay bass player, could write a good lyric (from a very mard arse middle-class perspective) but singing-wise he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
What makes them better than most of their peers is their experiments ambient sound and mood. If you let it wash over you (especially armed with a good set of headphones and some sort of artificial stimulant) it's quite engaging and pleasurable, but not much more than that.
Though you can't really expect much more and I get very little of that from today's music.
Also, seen 'em a few times (on freebies) and they did put on a good show but I only listen to the albums as far as The Wall.
Waters' Pros and Cons album is pretty mint though.

some sort of artificial stimulant

An absolutely vital requirement, I strongly suspect. But then, I'm rather jaundiced about them. The number of earnest, heavily stoned ("maaan, but this Leb red is fucking good…!") slow-motion conversations, all pontificated from the obligatory bean bags, of course, that I had inflicted on me in my youth, about the relative merits of the Floyd, well, they could and have lasted me a lifetime.

Unlike King crimson Steely Dan and Yes who were all virtuoso musicians.

Big fan of all of them (some poor albums for all of them, to be fair, as well) but by God you could hardly put a more motley crew together. I can't see (or rather hear) the connection between the three of them, musically. Of course, there's the Bruford link, but he himself has gone on record as saying that joining KC from Yes was like going over the Berlin wall — into east Berlin…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.