How good were The Who

Dont get me wrong as they were all great( my fav band dont forget) and suited each other perfectly in a music sense,and collectively there is no one I would rather watch play. Entwhistle was an innovator with his early bass solos and maybe I did him most injustice with my statement. Moon was a force of nature and filled in where there were no gaps,but I have seen many "experts" say he didnt have the discipline of the likes of Ginger Baker. Townshend was rhythm based and although I love his live work and use of power chords I would say that the likes of Hendrix/Richards and Clapton(his most obvious contempories) found the instrument easier to play. Daltrey was a superb rock vocalist and has even managed to deliver slower ballads effectively, but there really are better singers. I dont argue with people about a band being "the best" as its all about personal opinions, I never got into Floyd,Zep and the smiths for example but theres plenty who prefer them to the Who(see the album chart on here). I see it like the most beautiful woman isnt necessarily the sexiest, a slight flaw can sometimes raise the appeal of something, and for me, the Who offer something no other band has equalled, and Im probably too old now for that to change.
There’s quite a bit going on Behind @Blue_eyes

Fcukin brilliant. Saw them live six times in the 70s.

Like many other contemporaneous rock giants, they ran out of creativity after a while and the surviving pair have been able to live off their early successes for the rest of their lives.

Think I read somewhere that smashing the kit came about due to an accident at a gig involving Townshend's guitar and a very low ceiling. Having damaged the guitar, he couldn't stand there like a complete tube with all these young impressionable faces in the crowd looking up at him so he decided the best thing to do was continue smashing up the guitar in order to save face. Wasn't too long before word got round about a band who finished their gigs by smashing up their kit and it became the main reason to go see Townshend and Moon do just that. Daltrey was always the hard-nut and there are no words to adequately describe Entwistle's bass-playing...
My best mate at the time got hit by a flying cymbal when Keith Moon kicked his drum kit off the stage. Only a superficial cut on the forehead but he was proud to show it off to everyone who’d listen. He was right pissed off when it healed.

You suprise me @nimrod , never liked any of it?
No, smashing up musical instruments has never appealed to me.
Turned me right off them.

Like most young wannabes out there I couldn't afford a half decent guitar and to see these guys just smashing them up was sickening to me.

I tried to like them once, a mate of mine was crazy about them and he tried to sell them to me, but I just couldn't get into them, I've never owned one of their records.

I'm not saying they weren't s good band and in my opinion better musicians than Pink Floyd.

They were actually pretty good in the 60's/70's when they weren't smashing things up!

Never got why they replaced Moon with Jones - couldn’t be more different. I know Moons extravagant style grated with Townshend but even so!
Going off Townshend's book (from memory) they were going for someone completely different as they didn't want a Moon impersonation and they favoured someone more like Phil Collins (who knows how my life opinions would have changed I I f#cking hate Phil Collins), but Pete or Roger (can't remember which?) wanted someone who was more committed to the band (or just available to tour / record as and when they wanted them I imagine for less royalties).

They themselves must have noticed the enormous drop off in sound when Keith wasn't behind them.

As has been said, technically far from the 'best' (which was shown up when having to play to a backing track for Quadraphenia / Who's Next etc where he had to actually stay in time) but as he was so unique in filling space and playing 'forward' instead of 'side to side' he's by far my favourite drummer.

Literally a force of nature...........

Think I read somewhere that smashing the kit came about due to an accident at a gig involving Townshend's guitar and a very low ceiling. Having damaged the guitar, he couldn't stand there like a complete tube with all these young impressionable faces in the crowd looking up at him so he decided the best thing to do was continue smashing up the guitar in order to save face. Wasn't too long before word got round about a band who finished their gigs by smashing up their kit and it became the main reason to go see Townshend and Moon do just that. Daltrey was always the hard-nut and there are no words to adequately describe Entwistle's bass-playing...
Could be my memory playing tricks on me but the slight variable came from the reaction that he got by accidentally sticking his guitar through the sealing (crowd went crazy), so took their cue from their.

This then furthered their own I individual competition of showing off on stage (Entwistle excluded)..........

My best mate at the time got hit by a flying cymbal when Keith Moon kicked his drum kit off the stage. Only a superficial cut on the forehead but he was proud to show it off to everyone who’d listen. He was right pissed off when it healed.
Gonna say, that would have been a great scar to house........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.