How important to you is it Sergio gets the record?

Another reason is what another chap said, when i would look at the pink etc and hear 'Bell and Summerbee' stuff like that, they were built up to be gods in my head. I want those gods to be made today to. If i have kids i want them to ask me 'was Aguero really that good dad' and i'l close the tab on xhamster.com and explain that yes he was son, yes he was.

One of the reasons I like this forum is the interesting and entertaining things fans say. Your comment made my night

It is very important Sergio gets the chance to beat the record. I still live in hope that he bags enough this season (yes, I know!) to take the record. His score rate eclipses all before him and it is time that our records get smashed. In recent years the International Caps record has gone and now this goalscoring record that has stood for 80 years has to go. Many of our current team are true legends, to be remembered for generations, and need to ensure their names are recorded and recognised as truly brilliant, dedicated men. Years ago I interviewed Tommy Johnson's son. Sergio has overtaken Tommy as number two now but way back Alan Johnson and I talked about his dad's achievements and records and Alan said words like: "Dad always wanted someone to break his records and beat his achievements because that showed progress. He wanted to see his achievements overtaken and would have loved to meet the men who could beat them." It's time our longest established records tumble.

On one important point - even now, despite numerous articles by me in the MCFC match programme on this and repeated comments, emails etc. many people, media companies and so on (including OptaJoe often perceived as 'the expert' by the media) keep getting the record wrong. The record holder is Eric Brook on 177 goals not 178. The extra goal was scored in the abandoned 1939-40 FL season and was therefore wiped from the records. None of those 3 games count in any official records as they were officially replayed at the start of the 1946-47 season. It's so frustrating, even MCFC have occasionally published the incorrect figure. 177 goals - that's all Sergio needs to get to to equal the record!

C'mon Sergio!

Love to see him smash it and create history, and be able to say I was there. Would also be nice to see if the media cream over it as they did with the rag granny molester

It'd be a huge shame full stop if Aguero left this summer. He still has plenty to offer, and I hope he stays for at least one more season. It would be great to see him beat Brook's record.

It'd be a huge shame full stop if Aguero left this summer. He still has plenty to offer, and I hope he stays for at least one more season. It would be great to see him beat Brook's record.

Totally agree. One thing that struck me the other day is that in recent years, for the first time since early 90s (maybe early 80s) we've had several players who have stayed for quite a few years. We can all point to the odd player, like Ian Brightwell, who grew up at City and stayed for most of his career, but in recent years we've had quite a few who have lasted 5 years or more (starting with the obvious 2008 signings Kompany and Zabba). For most of my adult life this is unusual. Just as we've got to idolise a player he's been moved on. Usually because of relegations/promotions/managerial change but in recent years (despite managerial change) we've managed to keep a nucleus of players for 5 years or more. This is important because it gives our younger fans the opportunity to develop true, legendary figures as their heroes and helps the club's identity develop.

We may not have had the success in recent years that some have predicted but, as with my boyhood in the 70s, we've found players who we can idolise. I got Bell, Tueart, Watson, Hartford, Barnes and Booth in my formative childhood years and was absolutely delighted with everything they did for City, but later generations had one or two 'names'. Thankfully, my children have their own names now - Yaya, Sergio, Silva, Kompany and Zabba

Totally agree. One thing that struck me the other day is that in recent years, for the first time since early 90s (maybe early 80s) we've had several players who have stayed for quite a few years. We can all point to the odd player, like Ian Brightwell, who grew up at City and stayed for most of his career, but in recent years we've had quite a few who have lasted 5 years or more (starting with the obvious 2008 signings Kompany and Zabba). For most of my adult life this is unusual. Just as we've got to idolise a player he's been moved on. Usually because of relegations/promotions/managerial change but in recent years (despite managerial change) we've managed to keep a nucleus of players for 5 years or more. This is important because it gives our younger fans the opportunity to develop true, legendary figures as their heroes and helps the club's identity develop.

We may not have had the success in recent years that some have predicted but, as with my boyhood in the 70s, we've found players who we can idolise. I got Bell, Tueart, Watson, Hartford, Barnes and Booth in my formative childhood years and was absolutely delighted with everything they did for City, but later generations had one or two 'names'. Thankfully, my children have their own names now - Yaya, Sergio, Silva, Kompany and Zabba

Yes, that's an interesting point. I can't remember the last player who qualified for a testimonial for us, but I think Kompany and Zabaleta will have been with us for ten years if they're still here next season.

This may sound hard but if he leaves without breaking the record he really only has himself to blame, missing 7 games through suspension early in the season.

Personally I'd love him to, I think in the modern game especially, his contribution to us should be marked with the ultimate accolade, if he doesn't though, I won't be seeing it in a negative way, he's been sensational for us.

This may sound hard but if he leaves without breaking the record he really only has himself to blame, missing 7 games through suspension early in the season.
Yep, and the daft bugger should have thought ahead when he kept getting injured in past seasons.

Now I think about it, he doesn't deserve the record. He's a disgrace.

Fuck me sideways.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.