How is everyone coping?

Yea mate use to be a manager/ head greenkeeper until I got made redundant after 22 years at Chestfield golf club.
Ever since than I have struggled. I did tyre fitting as one job.
Marriage broke up.

Married a lovely lady now, but my work life is just shit. I seem to struggle with so many shit people in power, who arent good managers just talk the talk or lick arse.

I am working my arse of I have stopped strimming now my back is on so much pain. With have no risk assessment, we dint even record over strimming time for white figure. I record mine but the council dont. Its things like this that do my head in.

Sorry for keep moaning
I used to work for an engineering company in Manchester, first 5 years were brilliant; great boss, great office environment then the boss left and everything changed under the new manager who treated us all like utter shite. I tried to accommodate his ways, thought he’d somehow change and ended up being very very ill myself with stress depression, anxiety, anger, despair. I tried loads of different meds, had long periods off sick but nothing changed. I woke up one day and had a Damascene moment. “I don’t have to take this shit.” Handed my notice in the next day and walked out utterly liberated. It was transformational, I felt the scales fall from my eyes, the weights from my shoulders. I could literally feel the stress drain out of my pores and out into the ether. If you hate your job, if you hate the people you work for, then the solution is in your own hands. They / it won’t change. You must. As @kaz7 said, set up your own thing. Or find someone who needs your skills. Or take a month off if u can afford it, go and see what’s out there. Just don’t stay stuck in that rut cos it’ll only get deeper.

I used to work for an engineering company in Manchester, first 5 years were brilliant; great boss, great office environment then the boss left and everything changed under the new manager who treated us all like utter shite. I tried to accommodate his ways, thought he’d somehow change and ended up being very very ill myself with stress depression, anxiety, anger, despair. I tried loads of different meds, had long periods off sick but nothing changed. I woke up one day and had a Damascene moment. “I don’t have to take this shit.” Handed my notice in the next day and walked out utterly liberated. It was transformational, I felt the scales fall from my eyes, the weights from my shoulders. I could literally feel the stress drain out of my pores and out into the ether. If you hate your job, if you hate the people you work for, then the solution is in your own hands. They / it won’t change. You must. As @kaz7 said, set up your own thing. Or find someone who needs your skills. Or take a month off if u can afford it, go and see what’s out there. Just don’t stay stuck in that rut cos it’ll only get deeper.

great post that mate. I would like to think I am a good boss at work. Bought everyone Ice creams this week and try and ask how people are regularly. Not easy keeping so many people happy.

great post that mate. I would like to think I am a good boss at work. Bought everyone Ice creams this week and try and ask how people are regularly. Not easy keeping so many people happy.

I remember the advice my dad gave me when I first became a head greenkeeper " treat people the same as you wish to be treated "

The best advice I have ever received in my team of 6 I think only around 6 left in my 20 odd years. Some retired some to be head greenkeepers themselves. Some had been with me for over 15 years when I got made redundant

My boss now is a complete knobhead hasnt a clue how to manage. He got the promotion over me as the town clerk and him didnt it behind my back !.

We were strimming in 27c heat the other day. No risk assessment for working in heat. No risk assessment for strimming. No risk assessment for the site we were on. I think this is way he picks on me as he knows I know what he should be doing ;(
He cant cant talk about problems he just shouts etc and says right I am taking this higher, he doesnt deal with anything lol

Last edited:
I remember the advice my dad gave me when I first became a head greenkeeper " treat people the same as you wish to be treated "

The best advice I have ever received in my team of 6 I think only around 6 left in my 20 odd years. Some retired some to be head greenkeepers themselves. Some had been with me for over 15 years when I got made redundant

My boss now is a complete knobhead hasnt a clue how to manage. He got the promotion over me as the town clerk and him didnt it behind my back !.

We were strimming in 27c heat the other day. No risk assessment for working in heat. No risk assessment for strimming. No risk assessment for the site we were on. I think this is way he picks on me as he knows I know what he should be doing ;(
He cant cant talk about problems he just shouts etc and says right I am taking this higher, he doesnt deal with anything lol
Risk assessment for working outside in 27c ?
Good Hell, grow a pair ffs :)

Taken in 1865.

E7EdeybXIAI6mKa

Really really struggling now. Some times feel like giving up, I dont see a future.

Work is a fucking nightmare. Boss does sod all and says its down to us to find out own work to do.
I have never worked where there is no structure.
When I was a boss I would set out the daily and weekly work so everyone knew what they were doing.

We have no risk assessment, cosh, etc, no job specs.

At this place we are to find our own work, but it has to be the hard, sometimes heavy work. The lady member of the team has been told she doesn't need to do these as she said she cant use strimmers, hand tools, etc so does litter picking and weeding.
Most of the time she is on her phone or chatting to her mates in town when litter picking

Work are now going to demote me because I dont find the 2 lads or myself work !.

I have had enough of this bull shit, I have about 30k and am thinking of just walking away. I really hate the place.
I just want to roll up into a ball and cry my eyes out. I am 60 and hate my working life.
Its affecting my home life to as I dont speak much.

I know some people are worst if than me, but it dorsnt help me !.

I am in tears just writing this before going to work. I feel so lonely, I miss my mum and dad like crazy. My missus doesnt know what to say ir do and I find myself snapping at her when I dont mean to . I love her .

Sorry to rant again

Nothing is worth that mate. Get the fuck out of there. Like has been suggested set something up for yourself. Little nest egg of 30k to fall back on whilst you're setting up and not having to panic fill your diaries with work as there's no cash on the bank. Can take your time with it.

I slogged my arse off for 15 years at the same place and all I got was a big fuck you at the end

Had my own business in the same industry for 5 years now and can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done apart from have my daughter. The freedom it allows you is unreal. Been able to just take time off when you need to, especially for school holidays etc is brilliant. The only person you have to be accountable to is yourself. Go for it. Don't get to 65 full of regret.

Last edited:
Risk assessment for working outside in 27c ?
Good Hell, grow a pair ffs :)
Dont need a risk assessment use common sense ffs. İt is a wonder anything gets fucking done in this country. İ would suggest to Gordon setting up his own little gardening business and pick and choose what he wants to do as i get the impression he is no longer a spring chicken

Dont need a risk assessment use common sense ffs. İt is a wonder anything gets fucking done in this country. İ would suggest to Gordon setting up his own little gardening business and pick and choose what he wants to do as i get the impression he shouid avoid eating jerk chicken

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.