How many of you are atheists?

Ammy said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Ammy said:
For the next 90 minutes I will be praying to any Deity that will have me :-)

You are always welcome to worship at the Church of the sacred Fetlocks, Ammy.

Do you do the wine and the bread stuff? - am starving

Currently ploughing my way through a case of Chateuneuf du Pape and a cheeseboard the size of Wales, but eating my fingernails more than anything lactose.
I'll give it 'til half time, then the valiums coming out.<br /><br />-- Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:32 pm --<br /><br />
Skashion said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
You are always welcome to worship at the Church of the sacred Fetlocks, Ammy.
Ceremonies include Plasterer's Radio Baptjism.

Sounds like the average Catholic communion.

Skashion said:
hilts said:
I am not talking about time and receiving messages before they are sent, i cant get my head around physical matter, something cannot have always have been there, things don't just appear
I'm willing to accept that some people, including you, cannot get out of their own experiences and accept that the universe doesn't behave the way you think it does or the way you want it to. The laws of physics are very strange and in many ways completely unintuitive. Quantum physics especially is completely at odds with the human experience. Trying to apply the concept of 'before' to the Big Bang isn't actually a scientific matter. Time was created with the Big Bang so trying to use human experience to apply time to a point where time didn't exist does not wash.

However, what you have written is self-contradicting. If everything had to have a beginning there would be nothing at all. EITHER something has ALWAYS existed OR it sprang into existence from nothing. There is no other alternative.

This was kind of my point it is hard for most people to accept or believe either of these from their experience of the world around us, it is probably why religion has a place even though it also conjurs up the very same questions

I would imagine only a very few can get their heads around quantum physics and even some who read up on it and spout theories may well be as clueless as the rest of us, trying to explain something so complicated which is a theory would be beyond most of us simpletons

God and faith was always an attempt to keep the masses from going mad

Probably

hilts said:
Skashion said:
hilts said:
I am not talking about time and receiving messages before they are sent, i cant get my head around physical matter, something cannot have always have been there, things don't just appear
I'm willing to accept that some people, including you, cannot get out of their own experiences and accept that the universe doesn't behave the way you think it does or the way you want it to. The laws of physics are very strange and in many ways completely unintuitive. Quantum physics especially is completely at odds with the human experience. Trying to apply the concept of 'before' to the Big Bang isn't actually a scientific matter. Time was created with the Big Bang so trying to use human experience to apply time to a point where time didn't exist does not wash.

However, what you have written is self-contradicting. If everything had to have a beginning there would be nothing at all. EITHER something has ALWAYS existed OR it sprang into existence from nothing. There is no other alternative.

This was kind of my point it is hard for most people to accept or believe either of these from their experience of the world around us, it is probably why religion has a place even though it also conjurs up the very same questions

I would imagine only a very few can get their heads around quantum physics and even some who read up on it and spout theories may well be as clueless as the rest of us, trying to explain something so complicated which is a theory would be beyond most of us simpletons

God and faith was always an attempt to control the masses.

Probably
Sorted

hilts said:

Probably

This is something that I just cannot accept.

I can accept that people prefer the idea of a personal God. I can accept the idea that some people believe that the Bible or Qur'an are holy books which are written by God thus the literal and unalterable word. I can even accept that some people don't really care and tale the path of the least resistance.

I cannot for one moment accept though that some are "too stupid" to understand the nature of the Universe or the laws which govern it. There is no magic trick to physics. In fact that's sort of the point of it. Physics is not the realm of geniuses that are somehow detached from the populace by sheer force of their brainpower alone.

Quantum physics isn't even that complicated when you have a grounding in the subject matter. It's like asking people to conjugate a verb in French. You have to know what a verb is, you have to know what conjugating it means and you have to know French. Without that then it seems to be a mysterious skill that others perform.

You talk of theories as guesses which shows a lack of even a basic level of scientific education but then try to comment on an advanced scientific area and I don't think it's fair for you to do so.

There are many religious people in these threads who don't seem to have a scientific grounding to truly understand these concepts so equate it as magic in the same way as the Bible which couldn't be further from the truth.

The only time I have prayed in recent years is when Pam gave me a lift back from a match in her car.

Love you Pam ;-) xx

hilts said:

Probably
So religion is what the ignorant turn to answer a question it doesn't solve. Actually, yep, that sounds right. Fuck Tzu, Marx and Wilde, Skashion proclaims:

Religion is what the ignorant turn to answer a question it doesn't solve.

Damocles said:
hilts said:

Probably

This is something that I just cannot accept.

I can accept that people prefer the idea of a personal God. I can accept the idea that some people believe that the Bible or Qur'an are holy books which are written by God thus the literal and unalterable word. I can even accept that some people don't really care and tale the path of the least resistance.

I cannot for one moment accept though that some are "too stupid" to understand the nature of the Universe or the laws which govern it. There is no magic trick to physics. In fact that's sort of the point of it. Physics is not the realm of geniuses that are somehow detached from the populace by sheer force of their brainpower alone.

Quantum physics isn't even that complicated when you have a grounding in the subject matter. It's like asking people to conjugate a verb in French. You have to know what a verb is, you have to know what conjugating it means and you have to know French. Without that then it seems to be a mysterious skill that others perform.

You talk of theories as guesses which shows a lack of even a basic level of scientific education but then try to comment on an advanced scientific area and I don't think it's fair for you to do so.

There are many religious people in these threads who don't seem to have a scientific grounding to truly understand these concepts so equate it as magic in the same way as the Bible which couldn't be further from the truth.

I could go through this in detail but i really can't be bothered as it is pretty much nonsense from beginning to end, the only thing i will say is i don't particularly care what you do or do not accept as it is not at all important to me

I may well have been born dumb but you must have worked pretty hard on your smugness

hilts said:
I could go through this in detail but i really can't be bothered as it is pretty much nonsense from beginning to end, the only thing i will say is i don't particularly care what you do or do not accept as it is not at all important to me

I may well have been born dumb but you must have worked pretty hard on your smugness

Yes, I can see how attacking the idea that some people are too stupid to understand physics and supporting the idea of a structure based education can come across as smug.

Sorry everybody, you're all too stupid to understand quantum physics because hilts said so.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.