How many of you are atheists?

dazdon said:
karen7 said:
I don't believe in god but i do in spirits and ghosts so i'm not sure what that makes me

That just makes you scared of the dark ;-)

Good point lol<br /><br />-- Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:25 pm --<br /><br />
Len Rum said:
karen7 said:
I don't believe in god but i do in spirits and ghosts so i'm not sure what that makes me
A Spiritualist.

I'll take that

Blue Note said:
Originally moral obligation cannot originate in the mind of man, and therefore must originate in the mind of a greater being, which is God.

Oh FFS! I is this kind of circular self justifying apologetic argument that gets on my tits.

Is it possible that God is a concept?

The Abrahamic god is all but rebuked and dead.

Is it possible that another god exists? Yes, but this wider god is the vaguest of ideas, who is to assume it exists in a physical form, has emotions? Interacts with the populated parts of the universe equally? Is it possible that a god does exist but he doesn't love or even much care for his creations, and regards them as a great many times more insignificant than we regard sea monkeys?

Perhaps religion was important in the evolution of morality, not the creation but in the move from a tribal small group to a larger state group. But that doesn't prove that god does exist, just because a particular form of religion needs a monotheistic deity to be imagined, for it to function. A god only needs to exist in the mind of the believers/deluded. But outside of that realm it is very hard to establish that there is any decent evidence such a deity actually exists for real.

The short version.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP2a44j-ueY[/youtube]

The full lecture.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOsOb0QRaQs[/youtube]

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
karen7 said:

Bonkers.
Fuck off I've just got in Kro Bar and there's some spirits in here

I've gone for a vodka

Blue Note said:
Originally moral obligation cannot originate in the mind of man, and therefore must originate in the mind of a greater being, which is God.

Yes, what we need as a blueprint for a decent, altruistic life is belief in a beardy omnipresent bloke who is all-powerful yet allows slavery, child rape and mass murder.
It's a good job we have such a reasonable deity to hand for our moral and spiritual guidance and well being.

karen7 said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
karen7 said:

Bonkers.

Thanks for that insight
Cun....must resist,it's sunday
:)

Actually I may come back as a ghost if it means I get to put the willies up our female posters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.