How many teams in England do you consider 'big' clubs?

Still trying to work out what that table is arranged by.
It’s all games played in the English top division since 1888 - but shown as 3 points for a win. Sorry, Just noticed that columns don’t align.

It rewards longevity and wins. I use it for those who claim we have no history to show that we have been one of the most successful clubs for a lot longer than the last 10 years. Sunderland are there because they were successful in the early years, Tottenham because they have sat doing nothing for many years. But over the course of the whole history of the English League these are the clubs that have been consistently there and other than Sheffield Wednesday they are also the clubs who have won on the most occasions. I don’t know a better measure of “big” or success in sporting terms.

Every club is big to its supporters and plenty have had success whether that be a decade ago or 100 years ago. 24 teams have won the first division/premier league in England so I'd say there are at least 24 big clubs out there if you want to throw success as a benchmark.

I personally think unless you've won the league, FA Cup and European Cup in the same season and also won the league, FA Cup and League Cup in the same season you can't call yourself a big club.

City
United
Arsenal
Liverpool
Everton
Chelsea
Spurs
Newcastle
Villa
Leeds?
West Ham?
Sheff Wed?
Sunderland?
Forest?
Leicester?

I think up to Villa , they are all definitely big enough to be considered a 'big' club. After that it gets a little fuzzy.
Nah - Leeds are way overhyped - yonners. ...No Leicester either - replace them with Alty

What do you class as a big club?

Make it clear though every single club have History! This "you got no history" annoys me it is totally false!

For me though there is Just these three categories for me..

01/ Your history average attendance

02/ Your points total in the top division over your history

03/ Trophies

All of them, it's all subjective if you are a fan of a club it's big to you.

Agree with this.

But if I was going into detail I'd probably come up with about 25 teams.

Or, just the one.

These days we are on a different planet. I don't think even we quite realise how scared everyone is of us as a club, in England and Europe even. Everyone else in England plays the underdog against us.

So there is us, then about 24 others.

No big club would change tactics and stick 10 men behind the ball at home to us. Big clubs don't play like cowards, big clubs go out to dominate and win games.

To be fair to them, Liverpool have often tried to go toe to toe with us over the last five years, and I think Arsenal try to now.

The rest? Shithouse clubs who are happy to have 20% possession in a home game against us as long as they get a point. Big clubs don't do that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.