How much did Mancini get wrong?

Good article on goal:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/champions-league/2011/09/28/2686170/manchester-city-manager-roberto-mancini-deserves-respect-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/cha ... espect-and</a>

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini deserves respect and backing from the club for his defiance over Carlos Tevez

The Italian did all he could to remain the man in charge as the Argentine striker's refusal to play against Bayern Munich made an already bad night potentially disastrousBy Jonathan Birchall

At the Allianz Arena in Munich, Manchester City’s embarrassment of riches and talent became simply an embarrassment full stop.

Dining away from home at the top table of European football was always likely to involve some hiccups, but if being outclassed in a 2-0 defeat on the field by Bayern Munich was an eye-opener for Roberto Mancini, it was events in the dugout that left mouths agape.

Two goals down in the club's first away fixture in Europe's elite competition since 1969 and being made to look like the Champions League new boys that they are, City turned to Carlos Tevez, both malcontent-in-chief and undoubted superstar at the club over the past 12 months, to come off the bench to dig his side and his manager out of a hole. He refused.

Sat motionless on the plush Allianz Arena bench, the Argentine announced what should prove to be his own curtain call at the club without barely saying a word. They were to come later.

"I have been professional during all the time here,” the striker told Sky Sports at the end of the game via an interpreter.

"Last season I was the best scorer and put my opinion through that I wanted to leave because of family reasons. But I keep trying to do my best."

Not in Munich he didn’t, and for a defiant and impressive Mancini, it was to prove an act of heresy too far. Never mind the sulking, the transfer requests and the trips back home to Buenos Aires, a showing of disrespect as public as this, in a situation so dire, was the death knell in an endlessly tempestuous relationship.

"He is finished for me. If I had my way he’d be out of the club," Mancini told the press.

"I decide the changes. That moment I decided to change Edin Dzeko with Nigel de Jong because I wanted to keep calm in the squad and not concede a third goal because we were 40 minutes to the end.

"And after five minutes Carlos was ready to go on. After that he refused to warm up again and refused to go on the pitch.

"If one player earns a lot of money, play for Manchester City in the Champions League and has this behaviour, for me he can't play. Never.”

Further to the vindictiveness of Tevez, Dzeko did nothing to quell fears over City’s dressing room discipline, reacting furiously to being replaced by De Jong by remonstrating with his Italian manager and throwing his tracksuit top to the ground. At least the Bosnian, although foolish, wanted to contribute.

Unlike the Argentine, whose timing was so brutal that it will raise suspicions of being calculated. Indeed, Jupp Heynckes’ men were making quite clear that City have major work still to do regardless of the squad’s behaviour, but having released the shackles from his side, Mancini has been looking like a manager able to take the Blues to the next level so far this season.

Sat joint top of the Premier League with Manchester United, Mancini’s City have oozed everything they lacked in Germany: class.

Except, that is, for the manager himself, whose fury was as obvious in his face as it was his words, but even that was delivered with dignity. Just as he has done with his team tactically, Mancini unleashed himself and made his message clear: such behaviour is simply unacceptable at Manchester City.

In front of the media glare, the former Sampdoria man, just like he used to in front of the goal, remained ice cool but still delivered the killer blow to his striker, but it’s fair to say he’s had practice.

Both Tevez and Mario Balotelli’s various misdemeanours over the last 21 months have raised questions over Mancini’s ability to instil the culture of respect and professionalism on which their city rivals at Old Trafford thrive on, with the situation on the blue half of the city often looking likely to spiral out of the former Inter manager’s control.

However, even Mancini’s fiercest critics would struggle to make an argument that Tevez’s actions were the result of anything other than reckless dishonour. Even Sir Alex Ferguson, one of the game’s greatest ever disciplinarians, discovered that the Argentine appears to be a helpless case, allowing him to leave the Theatre of Dreams in 2009.

Two years later and it’s history repeating. The removal of Tevez once again appears to be the only remaining option.

It was a night to forget on the pitch for Mancini but his comments following the final whistle were those of a true leader, defiant in the most trying of circumstances and commanding respect.

That’s an asset that money can’t buy.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/champions-league/2011/09/28/2686170/manchester-city-manager-roberto-mancini-deserves-respect-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2914/cha ... espect-and</a>

Maybe the toure one because he was not as sharp as Lescott but i do understand his decision and i half expected him to start Toure due to his champions league experience.

De jong was brought on to seal the midfield up for five minutes as we had no control in the midfield. After five mins he was due to bring Tevez on, probably for Barry. At this point we would have had tweo up front and de jong protecting the back four allowing yaya to push further up the pitch.

As soon as Tevez refused to come on the game plan went out the window as there was no other players on the bench to change the game

So all in all i dont really blame Mancini

What mancini got wrong:
Playing Kolo instead of Lescott. Lescott had a great game on Saturday plus Kolo hasn't played 90 minutes since his suspension.

Milner should have played ahead of Nasri.

Dzeko shouldn't have started. Been poor the last couple of games.

Giving a highly emotional interview so soon after the game had finished. Should have been discussed by all parties behind closed doors before issuing a club statement.

Bollocking poor old Zab. Great pro and loyal to the club. Love the post - if he's not getting his head and limbs ripped off on the pitch he's getting bollocked for something he hasn't said off it!!!!!! Love Zabba.

RossyBlue1990 said:
Maybe the toure one because he was not as sharp as Lescott but i do understand his decision and i half expected him to start Toure due to his champions league experience.

De jong was brought on to seal the midfield up for five minutes as we had no control in the midfield. After five mins he was due to bring Tevez on, probably for Barry. At this point we would have had tweo up front and de jong protecting the back four allowing yaya to push further up the pitch.

As soon as Tevez refused to come on the game plan went out the window as there was no other players on the bench to change the game

So all in all i dont really blame Mancini

What you say is absolute spot on and how I read it and Mancini was spot on in every decision he made last night! The players stopped playing after 30 minutes that's why we lost plus there was a definite penalty maybe 2

SilvaAnnie said:
What mancini got wrong:
Playing Kolo instead of Lescott. Lescott had a great game on Saturday plus Kolo hasn't played 90 minutes since his suspension.

Milner should have played ahead of Nasri.

Dzeko shouldn't have started. Been poor the last couple of games.

Giving a highly emotional interview so soon after the game had finished. Should have been discussed by all parties behind closed doors before issuing a club statement.

Bollocking poor old Zab. Great pro and loyal to the club. Love the post - if he's not getting his head and limbs ripped off on the pitch he's getting bollocked for something he hasn't said off it!!!!!! Love Zabba.

I completely agree with all this accept for Dzeko starting. For one who would start instead? And for another, in my opinion Aguero's looked less hungry than Dzeko and not only would I have brought him off last night out of the 2 of them. I would also start Mario & Dzeko together on Saturday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.