How Peter Swales became City chairman

Part five of the serialization is now online (earlier instalments can also be found via the link below).

It details Swales’ business dealings and involvement in football prior to joining the City board. Bearing in mind that the most commonly-used terms to describe Swales are “buffoon” and “incompetent”, the amount of success he enjoyed in his earlier life will surprise a lot of people.
Swales positioning himself next to the Altrincham captain holding the cup, with more than half the team cropped out. Nothing changed in that respect in his attempt to make himself the "main man" to the wider public.

Swales positioning himself next to the Altrincham captain holding the cup, with more than half the team cropped out. Nothing changed in that respect in his attempt to make himself the "main man" to the wider public.
Actually, it was me who cropped out half the team! But I agree with your point about Swales wanting to make himself the "main man". His reasons for that is something I'm going to be exploring at a later date. Let's just say there were people who were keen to remain in the shadows during Swales' time as chairman.

I’ve noticed there have been a lot of threads about Peter Swales over the years, but none have provided the answers people are looking for.

I’m a former financial journalist and have been researching the Swales era for the last few years. Back in the day I created the Purely Man City blog, and have now relaunched it on Substack. I’m starting with a serialisation explaining how Swales became chairman. I’ve just published the first installment, which details a secret deed of covenant signed by City’s directors in 1964 that inadvertently paved the way for Swales’ rise to power.

It’s free to view via the link below:

https://mcfchistory.substack.com/p/how-peter-swales-became-city-chairman
Great reading… subscribed

Part five of the serialization is now online (earlier instalments can also be found via the link below).

It details Swales’ business dealings and involvement in football prior to joining the City board. Bearing in mind that the most commonly-used terms to describe Swales are “buffoon” and “incompetent”, the amount of success he enjoyed in his earlier life will surprise a lot of people.
Just because someone is a successful businessman/woman, it doesn’t mean that he or she is capable of running what was, at the time, one of the biggest and best football clubs - and that is what Manchester City was in the early '70s - in the country.

Swales took us from a great, well run entity into a laughing stock. His time as chairman was nothing short of a complete disaster.

He openly admitted that he wanted to be chairman for 20 years, which simply confirmed that it was all about him and his ego.

I’ve noticed there have been a lot of threads about Peter Swales over the years, but none have provided the answers people are looking for.

I’m a former financial journalist and have been researching the Swales era for the last few years. Back in the day I created the Purely Man City blog, and have now relaunched it on Substack. I’m starting with a serialisation explaining how Swales became chairman. I’ve just published the first installment, which details a secret deed of covenant signed by City’s directors in 1964 that inadvertently paved the way for Swales’ rise to power.

It’s free to view via the link below:

https://mcfchistory.substack.com/p/how-peter-swales-became-city-chairman
Just read all 5. A brilliant read. Deserves a wonder audience. Well done mate.

Thanks for all the positive comments. We’re now getting to the cloak-and-dagger part of the story, so I think you’ll enjoy the remaining instalments (though “enjoy” is probably the wrong word).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.