How to bulk up?

FantasyIreland said:
Far too many exercises and reps for my liking mmadave.I'd be in an overtrained state in no time and i certainly wouldn't grow.
keep it simple.

Totally agree with FI and Wheelsy here Dave, was going to say the layout is similar to the routine I've started the last few weeks since I got back into the gym again, then I saw how many exercises you were doing, that really is a huge amount mate, I'm surprised you've got the energy for anything else, as said, it would be more productive if it was simpler, here's mine atm as an example without the cardio :-

Monday - Chest and Triceps.

Flat barbell bench 5 x 6
Weighted Dips 5 x 6
Finish off with alternate dumbbell bench 2 x 15 (just something I like finishing off with)

Wednesday - Legs and Shoulders

Squat 5 x 6
Seated Barbell OHP 5 x 6
Some side laterals to finish off

Friday Back and Biceps.

Deadlift 4 x 6
Weighted Pull-ups/Chins 4 x 6
Strict alternate standing dumbbell Curls 4 x 6 (not particularly needed by some but my Bi's respond poorly to stimulation)

The key here is as always, intensity, progression, recovery and diet mate rather than volume, when you hit your numbers, add more weight, if you're still MMAing it that should be plenty on the cardio side.

I'm 6'4" and was pushing 110kgs at about 30%bf. Now I'm 103kgs at around 12%.

You want to burn fat? Deadlift and squat. You want to bulk up? Deadlift and squat. You should nail these two exercises first and foremost, as they use pretty much every major muscle group and will give you the most gains. IMO nothing beats the dead, such a great exercise.

If you don't have much money, save up for a 16kg kettlebell. The amount of functional strength you will gain is huge. Swings, OH press, Turkish get-ups, all brilliant at building useful muscle, while burning fat and giving you a decent cardio workout at the same time (which is great, cos cardio sucks balls).

p.s. Deadlift.

mmadave1 said:
Day 1: Chest/Triceps
Bench Press: 6 sets of 12 reps
Incline Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 8 reps
Cable Crossovers: 3 sets of 8 reps
Triceps Dips: 4 sets of 10 reps
Triceps Pushdowns: 4 sets of 10 reps
Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 10 reps

Day 2: Back/Biceps
Wide-Grip Pull-Up: 4 Sets 6 reps
Medium-Grip Pull-Up: 4 Sets 6 reps
Narrow-Grip Pull-Up: 4 Sets 6 reps
Seated Cable Row: 4 Sets 6 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 4 Sets 6 reps
Deadlift: 4 Sets 6 reps
Preacher Curl: 4 Sets 12 reps
Hammer Curl: 3 Sets 10 reps
Incline Dumbbell Curl 3 Sets 10 reps

Day 3: Shoulders
Overhead Barbell Press: 4 sets of 10 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Front Raise: 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 10 reps
Smith Machine Upright Row: 4 sets of 6 reps
Barbell/Dumbbell Shrug: 4 sets of 6 reps

Day 4: Legs
Leg Extension: 3 sets of 10 reps
Leg Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
Narrow-Stance Smith Machine Squat: 4 sets of 6 reps
Medium-Stance Smith Machine Squat: 4 sets of 6 reps
Wide-Stance Smith Machine Squat: 4 sets of 6 reps
Leg Press: 4 sets of 6 reps
Stiff-Legged Deadlift: 4 Sets 6 rep

rest and enough sleep is also key and very important.

Fantasy is right this is way too much you may want to cut it down a tad. Dont make the mistake of thinking the more you do the more results. It does not work like that and you will just damage your body.

Just to add, I always find that your 'biggest' lifts should be done first (after warming up, obv.), otherwise, you'll get to your last heavy set of bench/squat/dead and be absolutely fucked.

Second gym attendance today,it felt good,i'm getting stronger and the old confidence is returning...... I hope,however,to keep a lid on things....

Hope progress is being made for the rest of you.

my food intake has increased by about 75% since i started training 3 weeks ago.
i thought id get bored of forever being in the kitchen and planning out my next days meals but im really enjoying the whole lot. enjoy training, enjoy the pain,enjoy eating, enjoy cooking and most of all im enjoying looking healthier all round.
hope others are enjoying it as much as me.

jacko8684 said:
i thought id get bored of forever being in the kitchen and planning out my next days meals but im really enjoying the whole lot. enjoy training, enjoy the pain,enjoy eating, enjoy cooking and most of all im enjoying looking healthier all round.

Well done Jacko, sounds like you've taken to the whole thing mate and surprisingly not a lot of people do, they always fall down on one aspect or another and call it a day or find an excuse, so keep it up buddy.

Well done to you too FI, glad it's still going well pal.

Dirty Harry said:
jacko8684 said:

Well done Jacko, sounds like you've taken to the whole thing mate and surprisingly not a lot of people do, they always fall down on one aspect or another and call it a day or find an excuse, so keep it up buddy.

thanks ..thats what ive tended to do in the past mate, make excuses and not eat and rest properly, hence no results. but now its clicked for me and all seems to be going well. when do people think i should weigh myself as i was 71kg when i started... i was thinking leave it till end of march ish???

jacko8684 said:
Dirty Harry said:
jacko8684 said:

thanks ..thats what ive tended to do in the past mate, make excuses and not eat and rest properly, hence no results. but now its clicked for me and all seems to be going well. when do people think i should weigh myself as i was 71kg when i started... i was thinking leave it till end of march ish???

Once a month should be enough mate or anywhere between 3-5 weeks, just keep an eye on the waist with a tape measure and the mirror.

jacko8684 said:

Envy you!

The eating is where I let myself down, I juts can't eat as much as I need to. Looking at a liquid source of gaining weight without ridiculous amounts of sugar.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.