How to discipline a 2 and 1/2 year old...

You can't control what they think they want. At two, that's kinda what they're trying to prove to themselves. But are always the lord and master, because you are the giver and taker away of their means to do/get what they want. And whatever they might think they want, in the end, what they actually want is very predictable. They want food, attention, comfort, freedom to burn off energy, to interact and be themselves.

Your job is to set it up so that communication, cooperation, consideration and honesty leads them naturally to what they really want... closeness, attention, the chance to be themselves, treats and priviledges (within limits). Your job is to set it up so that their bad behaviour frustrates them - takes them further away from these things.

Your job is to be consistent. Otherwise you're teaching them they can manipulate 'the world' by playing up, making a scene, or making others unhappy. You have to communicate all of this through actions.

Words are only there to explain, to clarify and back it up. For them, words are a way to express themselves, to ask for things, to ask why and how.

What they aren't, is a way for them to get round you (they learn this stuff so quickly I honestly find it hilarious to let them try and fail, then they come back with another plan. First learn the moves they do on your partner. Then learn the moves they use on you. It tells you a lot about how they see you).

And whilst an occasional urgent word can communicate a lot, words themselves are not a punishment - using them to hurt or shock them doesn't help. Voices and words are for communicating - not weapons.

Amidst all this, the kids need time to learn and reflect on how things are.

Says someone with no kids. I do like Supernanny tho.

Ignore bad behaviour ,give one warning and if they carry on put them on the naughty step,if they keep getting up put them back without speaking and eventually they get the message,start now and it'll be easier going foward
Is the correct answer. My good lady was a childminder for 23 years, and found out quite quickly that hitting them with a rounders bat was not a good idea! Apparently, my brother in law, who was a psychiatric nurse, said that a knotted wet towel leaves no bruises. (Never tried it though, just took his word for it.)
Put them up for adoption, I wish I'd done it, oh how I long for peace and quiet.
As the "recipient" of two adopted children, I wish parents were all like you! The youngest (30) comes home from South Africa on Monday after 12 weeks voluntary work looking after abused children, and her sister (34) is currently at a racing circuit in Germany as the Bentley racing team manager. They do get better as they get older! Just persevere - it's worth it. (And I know your comment was tongue in cheek - at least, I hope so.)

;-)

In my experience it's down to communication - my eldest couldn't verbally communicate well at the age of two and a half and went mental when we e.g. tried to put him in his car seat and we didn't know why.
My youngest who was a great talker from early on would go mental when we tried to e.g. put him in the car seat but he was going mental because he wanted to hold a toy he could see or wanted a box of raisins or something was not right and he told us - we fixed his problem and he was happy as happy larry!

If your daughter can't get her problem over to you she'll go mental - then again, she's female and probably just hormonal or summat

Is the correct answer. My good lady was a childminder for 23 years, and found out quite quickly that hitting them with a rounders bat was not a good idea! Apparently, my brother in law, who was a psychiatric nurse, said that a knotted wet towel leaves no bruises. (Never tried it though, just took his word for it.)

As the "recipient" of two adopted children, I wish parents were all like you! The youngest (30) comes home from South Africa on Monday after 12 weeks voluntary work looking after abused children, and her sister (34) is currently at a racing circuit in Germany as the Bentley racing team manager. They do get better as they get older! Just persevere - it's worth it. (And I know your comment was tongue in cheek - at least, I hope so.)

;-)
Ha ha wouldn't swap her for the world, just booked us to go to Disney world next Feb not telling her until we get to the resort, can't wait to see her face as she sees the castle for the first time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.