HRH Prince Philip - Passed Away

Hope we get to see the Duke's three German relations at the funeral - grandchildren of two of his sisters who married into the German aristocracy and a cousin who like the Duke is descended from Queen Victoria.
I never realised how many German cousins related to our royal family there are on Phillip's side.
You only ever get to hear of those on the Queen's side.

Hope we get to see the Duke's three German relations at the funeral - grandchildren of two of his sisters who married into the German aristocracy and a cousin who like the Duke is descended from Queen Victoria.
I never realised how many German cousins related to our royal family there are on Phillip's side.
When Queen Anne died childless (loads of chidren who didn’t live long), the powers that been went off to Germany to find a replacement. They recruited George I who landed by boat at Greenwich in 1714 and he didn’t speak a word of English. So not at all suprised we have a strong connection to our old enemy.

When Queen Anne died childless (loads of chidren who didn’t live long), the powers that been went off to Germany to find a replacement. They recruited George I who landed by boat at Greenwich in 1714 and he didn’t speak a word of English. So not at all suprised we have a strong connection to our old enemy.
Aren’t they all German

I was referring to the more immediate German link to the royal family through Phillip's ancestry.
But of course there are many others - Prince Albert,Mary of Teck and the Hanoverian link that you mention going all the way back to George 1.

Kept out of the way when they got married as German links were still a sensitive issue that soon after ww2

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.