HS2 - Birmingham to Manchester scrapped.

I see the tube strikes have been called off, wonder if the trains oop North will follow suit ? Nah…me either

Warwick Uni might be in Cov but the students tend to live in Leamington and Kenilworth, or at least the posh ones do!

I accept the SE has to start somewhere, but if you were using the M40 as the barometer fwiw I’d say Thame. I’d say Bicester was in the Midlands, albeit on the southern edge. Think the SE starts at the top of the A34 personally.
We cycled from Cov to Leamington on a day we visited Warwick campus. Stopped at the Costa and there were some gingerbread men on the counter wearing skyblue 'n white scarves. Said to Mrs Ewing I'd have to have one of those, knowing full well it was Coventry City and she told the assistant I was a Man City fan. And yes yer've guessed! He was a Rag! I can't recall the tail end of the conversation but it revolved around David Gill, and the lad had no idea who he was!

Banbury's arguable, perhaps (although twenty miles is actually quite a lot in the smallish country that is England). But the most important town in Oxfordshire is Oxford. And I'm pretty sure that most of its inhabitants (excluding students, of course, who come from all over) don't see themselves as living in the Midlands. So wherever they are, it's not there.
That’s fair comment. Wasn’t being entirely serious tbf. Plus it’s weird to think I live 20 miles from the South East as the crow flies!

I used to get the train to London a couple of times a month when it was operated by Virgin. Got on at Stockport and off at Euston and I am sure it was 1hr 55 mins which was a completely acceptable journey time for the distance. There were 3 services an hour also which seemed good.

I got on it the other week with the new provider and they seem to have added more stops to the journey thus turning it into a 2hr 10 min journey (probably to make more money from the same train), they appeared to be less frequent and then announced an apology for lack of seats as they had 2 less carriages.

I can understand there being a driver shortage and strikes to cause delays but not having enough carriages just seems really poor preparation or maintenance planning from the company.

It seemed a pretty decent service to me before but has been made worse in both time and traveller comfort by the supplier. You don’t need to spend billions to improve that.
There was indeed a morning train which did the journey from Manchester Piccadilly to Euston in 1hr 55mins.
All the others were timed at 2hr 7mins for the journey.
The 'Pendolino' trains are getting on a bit now and after spending many years working flat out are starting to show their age and in the not too distant future, they are going to need replacing.
Have the powers that be considered the cost of replacing the old trains with a newer version? Is it included in the overall cost of HS2?

So it was always going to be a High speed line from London to Birmingham, much of it in tunnels through the Chilterns!

Quite honestly, it's probably safe to remove the question mark from the title of this thread. The shower of shite currently in power are responsible for the worst kept secret in history and still the fuckers keep up the pretence! If the Tories had set out to insult the electorate's collective intelligence, they couldn't have done a better job.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.