HS2 - Cancel it now

I asked it a bit back but don't remember getting any responses - is anyone aware of a viable and costed alternative to HS2?

For what it's worth, if they are now going to can HS2 North of Birmingham shouldn't they just be looking to re-open (I think it was referred to as Central Rail line or the like), an old track that with a bit of maintenance could be fit for purpose for trains up to 145MPH?

For a project of this size it still doesn't appear to solve the problems of the north?

watching the news I saw someone from Leeds saying they can see tangible benefits from the promise of HS2 coming with businesses relocating there etc so it HAS to be built.

The very reason why it won't be. All the cash is to be spaffed over our green and pleasant land to make London more profitable - to drag business there not up here and to get drones into the capital quick enough to justify servicing these businesses. The idea that such investment could take benefits away from the South will mean the Northern section will get canned. Johnson got his majority and can railroad his hard Brexit through now so he will offer warm words to his newly elected Northern MP's but I am sure he has already calculated he can afford to lose a few by the time of the next GE.

Heard an interesting view on James O'Brien today - he was quoting a guy ( forget his name ) who edits the trade mag, masses of contacts and years of experience.

Anyway his view was that the original £30 odd bn estimate was to suit Cameron and get his "legacy" prospect adopted. Then the numbers jumped to the mid £50's bn once the maths were done and that factored the industry taking part in the use of new technology and methods of working - which they didn't and it was up to £80 bn. There have been all the rumours and people quitting over ever rising costs and now its £106bn but thats come out since the election and they are quite cool with this and Javid backs the idea but Johnson and Shapps say they have to look at the realities.

So the guys theory is Johnson ok's what is a worst case scenario number which then begins to fall as cute little tricks are pulled to cut bits back etc. So by next election its looking more like mid £90'sbn and Johnson can claim it was he who "knocked heads together " to " get HS2 done" and claim its something for the Northern vote and MP's.... interesting

Beggars belief. £100+bn to get to/from Brum-London 20 minutes faster. Why? What difference will it make? Some say it is to reduce the number of people flying between the two and yet they are expanding Birmingham airport.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.