Humour on the board

stony said:
Wheelsy OSC Sydney said:
The problem is everyone has conflicting views as to what is appropriate and what isn't — even amongst the Mod Squad.

You could tell the most racist, crude jokes at the pub with your mates because you know the audience. They share a similar belief to you and won't get offended. But when posting it on a messageboard, and to the general public, the audience is broader, and some people may take offence.

Trying to get the balance between "Political Correctness Gone Mad" and "Traditional British Gallows Humour" is tough.

So as an a Aussie how do you view "Traditional British Gallows Humour" ?

What are the pros and cons.....am I allowed to say cons to an Aussie ? ;-)
Well "Traditional British Gallows Humour" wasn't my words. But the Australian sense of humour is similar in the way it is self-depricating (is that the word?).

Personally I have no problem with any convict joke you could throw at me, although that's not an invitation to. :)

barcabloo said:
No it implied that the abuse of children by adults was the child's fault/responsibility and it is that kind of insidious implication that I take offence at....if you don't get that or can't see that then so be it

Serious question and not taking the piss or anything but could the subject matter be a bit personal to you hence the objections you have to it.

I mean I presume you don't get offended by Englishman, Irishman and a Scottish Man jokes or mother in law jokes or anything.

Wheelsy OSC Sydney said:
But the Australian sense of humour is similar in the way it is self-depricating (is that the word?). Personally I have no problem with any convict joke you could throw at me.

I'm only teasing mate, I have family in Oz. It only cost my Uncle Jimmy £10 to get there. Mind you my great granddad got their for a loaf of bread...

Wheelsy OSC Sydney said:
Ah, he was a Ten Pound Pom. So was my Pop.

He's back now, he emigrated to Oz twice and came home both times when my gran got ill. He wants to go back again but he's 71 now. Another uncle went out too, but his wife died and he was left with 3 young kids to bring up on his own , so he came back too.

johnmc said:
barcabloo said:
No it implied that the abuse of children by adults was the child's fault/responsibility and it is that kind of insidious implication that I take offence at....if you don't get that or can't see that then so be it

Serious question and not taking the piss or anything but could the subject matter be a bit personal to you hence the objections you have to it.

I mean I presume you don't get offended by Englishman, Irishman and a Scottish Man jokes or mother in law jokes or anything.

Good question!

It is not personal to me I have no objection to 99.9999% of jokes when I was in the UK went to Bernard's on numerous occasions and PMSL...and the people I know do not consider me to be the least bit PC!

However I feel that jokes regarding Paedophillia are inappropriate and over time help in the cause of the filth that commit these acts upon children.

It is my opinion and I suspect the opinion of a large percentage of those who are grown up with children of their own, that this is the case.

Unfortunately the debate I have had on here has been in the main with Students and the under 35's I suspect err that's it!

barcabloo said:

You see, that's just it, it DIDN'T imply that at all. It was a joke. It wasn't a serious discussion where someone actually expressed the view that child abuse was the fault of the child. Whether you find it funny or not is an entirely different issue.

It's the difference between the BNP and Roy Chubby Brown (who I find extremely unfunny, but that's not the issue), the BNP actually believe, and argue, that Britain should be for white British people, Chubby Brown makes jokes about race relations and people of certain races. As I said, I don't find him or his jokes funny, but I don't find them offensive either.

smeghead64 said:
Bozo said:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q30HY_EhaG0

i think you should seek medical help ASAP

<a class="postlink" href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uyNHmskN-vo&NR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uyNHmskN-vo&NR=1</a>

barcabloo said:
johnmc said:
barcabloo said:

Good question!

It is not personal to me I have no objection to 99.9999% of jokes when I was in the UK went to Bernard's on numerous occasions and PMSL...and the people I know do not consider me to be the least bit PC!
So, essentially, jokes are ok as long as YOU don't find them offensive? Hypocritical that I'd say. "You can joke about blacks and Indians as much as you like, but don't mention Paedophilia".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.