Hurricane Milton

Have you been watching live updates? Widespread devastation, three million without electricity and numerous deaths reported. How bad would you like it to be? It's worth adding that worst case scenario planning based on the best information available at the time is not crying wolf but responsible emergency management in what is, by its very nature, a rapidly changing situation.
Nobody is suggesting all coverage is "cry wolf" merely that there is a lot of it. It was this video that sparked the comments.

There are some very strange comments in this thread—not really sure the purpose of them.

At any rate, it seems Milton has done quite a bit of damage, with reports thus far of quite a few people sadly being killed (primarily by tornados spawned by the storm, but I imagine that will change as the full extent of the impact is revealed, unfortunately), though, it seems Tampa’s luck has continued, as it missed the worst of it.

Authorities have been shown to be right to evacuate—anyone arguing otherwise doesn’t understand how dangerous these storms are, how vulnerable these parts of Florida are to them, and what had just come before with Helene.

Hoping @Mad Eyed Screamer ‘s trailer survives unscathed and blues in Florida are safe and sound, as well.

There are some very strange comments in this thread—not really sure the purpose of them.

At any rate, it seems Milton has done quite a bit of damage, with reports thus far of quite a few people sadly being killed (primarily by tornados spawned by the storm, but I imagine that will change as the full extent of the impact is revealed, unfortunately), though, it seems Tampa’s luck has continued, as it missed the worst of it.

Authorities have been shown to be right to evacuate—anyone arguing otherwise doesn’t understand how dangerous these storms are, how vulnerable these parts of Florida are to them, and what had just come before with Helene.

Hoping @Mad Eyed Screamer ‘s trailer survives unscathed and blues in Florida are safe and sound, as well.
Unless I missed the posts I'm pretty sure no one stated that people designated as being in evacuation zones actually didn't need to evacuate?

The word from the park is a lot of trees and branches are down and definitely 3 homes took a hit from trees but haven’t heard specifically about mine yet.
My daughter said she probably can’t get there until tomorrow as she doesn’t have enough petrol (gas) to get there and back and everywhere is sold out

A video from 6 years ago?
We were discussing how reporters sensationalize around hurricanes generally not this one specifically!
After watching that ridiculous attempt to make conditions worse than they were your only thought was "it was 6 years ago"? Wow!

The word from the park is a lot of trees and branches are down and definitely 3 homes took a hit from trees but haven’t heard specifically about mine yet.
My daughter said she probably can’t get there until tomorrow as she doesn’t have enough petrol (gas) to get there and back and everywhere is sold out
Just saw that Tampa and the surrounding counties have issued a shelter in place and no travel order for those that evacuated so emergency services can work through the city and major roads to clear downed lines, trees, debris, and to allow for high tide to come in (as it is likely to lead to more flooding).

We were discussing how reporters sensationalize around hurricanes generally not this one specifically!
After watching that ridiculous attempt to make conditions worse than they were your only thought was "it was 6 years ago"? Wow!
@bluethrunthru mentioned authorities “crying wolf”, presumably regarding warnings of possible danger from the hurricane and forcing evacuations, to which you seemed to indicate you agreed. And some of your other posts gave the impression that you thought the build up to the storm was overblown (pardon the pun), so that is why I and others thought you were speaking about this storm specifically.

And my thought was “it was 6 years go” because the channels have been called out quite often since and have become less likely to brazenly do it now, which is why using a 6 year old video is a dubious method of making a point about sensationalism now.

I am sure there will be examples from Milton, but you’ll have to share those when they come up if you want to make a convincing point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.